Greetings

5 replies to this topic
  • Tom_Higdon

Posted January 04, 2001 - 05:00 AM

This is such a great site! You guys are doing an awesome service, however, I guess it is fortunate for me (so far) that I did not stumble on this prior to buying my new 01 426 (15 Dec) or I may have kept my old YZ250! I have about 1 hour time on the bike (due to the unusually heavy winter weather we have experienced in this part of Texas the last 2 weeks) however, and performance wise it has defineitly met my high expectations! Of course, I am running into the same sooty/fouled spark plug scenario most of you mention, but man does this thing pull hard! BTW, I am at about 3000 ft elevation, and so far averaging 45-50f temps. I have the airscrew 2 1/2 turns out (with great response), raised the clip one position and dropped the main one size. My feeling from reading most of the posts in this forum (heck, I have read them all!) is that this seems more of an ignition problem that carb, but who am I to say!
My only other changes so far were swapping the stock bars for McGrath bend Renthals, getting rid of those atrocious tires (all of the tracks I ride are soft/intermediate terrain which are usually prepared well) for Michelin S-12's (that front tire has helped every bike I have ever used it on). I also plan to go to a different clamp to move the bars up (best improvement I ever made to my trusty 94 YZ).
I also followed the advice I read about greasing all bearings (the steering stem and wheel bearings were DRY!). So far very happy! There are several great tracks/riding areas in the Texas/Northern New Mexico area if anyone ever gets out here, happy to advise anyone.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 04, 2001 - 06:51 AM

How difficult is it to lube the wheel and stem bearings? Any special tools required, IE. pullers, torque wrench, etc? Did you lube the swing arm pivot also and if so how difficult was that?

Paul in AZ

• mikeolichney

Posted January 04, 2001 - 07:15 AM

I also plan to go to a different clamp to move the bars up (best improvement I ever made to my trusty 94 YZ).
[/B]

Hey Tom, I agree about the clamps. Check out these triple clamps at yamahausa.com. great adjustability, including height.
Posted Image

BILLET ALUMINUM TOP CLAMP
4-position adjustments: 6mm closer to rider, stock position, 13mm forward, and 19mm forward of stock. Durable and extremely strong. Select mounts for either standard or Pro Taper handlebars. Standard Mounts fit all 7/8-inch (stock) bar styles. ProTaper mount style fits all 1-1/8 inch oversized handlebars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tom_Higdon

Posted January 04, 2001 - 08:54 AM

Originally posted by Paul in AZ:
How difficult is it to lube the wheel and stem bearings? Any special tools required, IE. pullers, torque wrench, etc? Did you lube the swing arm pivot also and if so how difficult was that?

Paul in AZ

• Tom_Higdon

Posted January 04, 2001 - 08:59 AM

Paul: Sorry, I screwed up my first reply attempt! Anyway, the steering stem lube was easy, I just took off the front wheel, then started disassembling everything from the top down (try to not turn your front brake reservoir upside down, otherwise you will have to bleed the brakes). After I took off the top clamp and the assembly nut underneath it, I had my wife hold the fork legs (5 years ago she didn't know a moped from a Harley, now all the parts guys in town know her by voice!) slid the stem down, greased it up and re-installed. As far as the wheel bearings, I got this little syringe type thing at Auto-Zone which allowed me to shoot grease past the seals without damaging them.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 04, 2001 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the lube training!!!

Paul in AZ

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.