'99 WR400F Idle Problem

8 replies to this topic
  • mall0y

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:27 PM

Hey guys, It's nice to be back to TT.

After a 2 year hiatus from owning a bike, I picked up a cherry 1999 WR400F (I previously had a 98 WR400F). The bike is a 2 owner bike. The first owner was an older guy (60s) who bought the bike in 1999. He rode it very little then sold it in 2007 to the person I purchased it from. The 2nd owner bought it for his son who rode it 4 times before deciding the bike “wasn't for him”.

So, here I have a completely stock, very clean, cherry (the original tire is still on it, no frame paint wear, mint plastics, etc) 1999 WR400F with ~500 miles on the clock. When I test rode it, it was hard to start but after kick 6 it fired right up. I let the bike warm up and took it for a ride. I noticed that it idled very low and even stalled once accompanied by with a small pop. It ran good so I took it home with me.

Last weekend I went to take it out for the first time. Started in 6 kicks and once warmed I took off. I rode it for about 10 miles then stopped to take a break. After stopping I couldn't start it for the life of me. After kicking it another 20 times I checked the plug - which was soaking wet. I changed it and it fired up first kick.

Every time I start it cold since changing the plug, it starts (with the help of the choke) in 2-3 kicks.

Now, on to the problem. The bike runs good but doesn’t idle. It idles nicely with the choke slightly on but as soon as I turn the choke off it stumbles and eventually stalls. It leaves a bit to be desired as far as throttle response compared to my other WR. It just doesn’t seem as snappy. The old WR had a YZ pipe on it. I’m not sure what else done to it (I bought it as an $600 beater so I really didn’t care at that point).

I’ve searched the forms and read threads suggesting everything from adjusting the air/fuel screw to rebuilding the accelerator pump. Can anyone help me narrow this down? I haven’t had the time to try anything so I’m looking for a place to start. I’m relatively new to these 4 stroke bikes so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

• Ebola

Posted March 31, 2010 - 09:36 AM

Since the bike is new to you, I would go through and do a maintenance check like valves, filter clean, clean the carb (especially since it seemed to sit a lot), of course oil too. Then see where you are. it most likely isn't just one thing, but a combination of things.

• mall0y

Posted March 31, 2010 - 03:37 PM

Since the bike is new to you, I would go through and do a maintenance check like valves, filter clean, clean the carb (especially since it seemed to sit a lot), of course oil too. Then see where you are. it most likely isn't just one thing, but a combination of things.

Oil has been changed, filter has been cleaned. I was waiting to check the valves for when I change it to YZ timing. Nothing seems to be out of the ordinary though.

I haven't even touched the carb. The next time I will be able to work on the bike is Saturday. First item on the agenda will be a good carb cleaning. I'm hoping that will solve it. If not, what should I look to next? Fuel mixture screw?

On a side note, will I have to re-jet for removing the airbox lid and slapping a YZ slip-on on it?

Thanks.

• Ebola

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:29 AM

Have you tried to just raise the idle speed a little by turning the black knob?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mall0y

Posted April 01, 2010 - 12:07 PM

Have you tried to just raise the idle speed a little by turning the black knob?

Nope, I haven't tried anything. I know very little about the carbs on these bikes and before I started poking around I wanted to either: 1.) get a manual or 2.) consult with someone on here. I ordered a manual but it won't be here until Monday.

Like I said, I'm going to give the carb a good cleaning on Saturday. I'll also try the knob. What direction should I turn this idle knob?

Also, can someone help me clarify the Yamaha YZ400 throttle stop screw part number? I've searched the boards and nobody posted a specific part number. The general advice seems to be "get a YZ screw" but no there's no mention of part #'s. I searched google and as dozen sites offering micro-fiches and I cannot find a part number for the life of me. All I find are 426/450 part numbers. Are these interchangeable?

Thanks for your help!

• Ebola

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm kinda new to these bikes too. I've only had mine for a month. Not sure which way to turn the screw. If you turn it and the idle speeds up, that's the right way. :-) For the throttle stop screw on the 400 I think the consensus is to file it down to about 8mm tall and put it back in.

• mall0y

Posted April 03, 2010 - 04:49 AM

I'm kinda new to these bikes too. I've only had mine for a month. Not sure which way to turn the screw. If you turn it and the idle speeds up, that's the right way. :-) For the throttle stop screw on the 400 I think the consensus is to file it down to about 8mm tall and put it back in.

Good news. The first thing that I adjusted was the pilot screw. My plan was to reset it and set it to the stock setting (1 3/8 turns out from snug). So I counted how many turns it took me to snug it...3 1/2 turns! So I snugged it, and turned it 1 1/2 turns and backed it in a tiny bit (1 3/8) and it started up first kick and with a little idle adjustment idled like a champ.

Thanks for your help!

• ArcticWR400

Posted April 04, 2010 - 08:58 AM

I think you actually file 8.5mm off it, it should be 12mm when you put it back in... I googled the topic and found this:

http://dirtbike.off-...l.jsp?id=266303

hope that helps.

• Ebola

Posted April 05, 2010 - 07:12 AM

well, there ya go. Sorry if I miss led you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.