Best All Round Muffler FMF Powercore4 vs Factory 4.1 vs Q4 vs Pro Circuit T4

7 replies to this topic
  • BrettJ

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hey Guys,
I know there isn't really a best muffler its all a matter of opinion but I'm hoping fellow riders can help based of their experience. All those mufflers above are roughly the same price or close enough not to worry me. I'm after a muffler which improves performance throughout the rev range and has a nice note. I'm not worried if its too loud etc.

Also can you get away without a rejet if your at standard altitude? In my experience your supposed to lean out slightly after exhaust work but i'm told the WR is lean from factory...

Thanks
Brett

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:54 PM

Actually, you need to go richer after putting on a performance exhaust, and yes, they are lean from factory. I would suspect you will need to re jet after any of the above mentioned pipes.

I have a FMF Ti PowerCore - like it, weighs a bunch less then the stock boat anchor, and sounds good, but I'll admit, it's on the loud side. Have had comments from others along the lines of "man, that sounds good!" for whatever thats worth. Comes with a removable spark arrestor.

Performance gains from JUST the pipe is hard to say for me, as I did hotcams, JD Jetting, and the exhaust all together, and I can say the before and after difference of all three items was huge. I suspect the pipe played a significant part in that.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:43 PM

Another vote for FMF (Powercore 4). Mounting was real slick and it seems well built. Seat of the pants tells me it's a little better everywhere than stock, but nothing earth shattering- - I still have the stock header though. Breathes a lot better than the opened up stocker (header does not turn red as easily just idling) and weighs a couple of pounds less. It's also tucked in a lot better as it's much shorter. I think it sounds kinda nasty in an unoffensive way as well. :thumbsup:

• ASternad

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Not on your list, but I thought I would throw it out there.
09 YZ 450 header/pipe w/ Pro Moto Cap = improves performance throughout the rev range and has a nice note, + saves roughly 2-3lbs. Just an FYI.
Oh and it's a shorty (tucks behind the number plate!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strattos

Posted March 30, 2010 - 04:18 PM

I've got the 4.1 slip-on. Great quality/fit. Easy to re-pack. Has a great exhaust note, but is louder than I'd like, even with the quiet insert in (i've never removed it). In terms of performance i'm the same as OUTERLIMITS. Feels like it's opened it up more across the board, but nowhere near as much as the difference an aftermarket pipe made to the '02 WR426 I had. Having said that, I went from the stock pipe with the GYTR insert, which is a bigger jump in power for me over the stock pipe.

• KJ790

Posted March 30, 2010 - 04:22 PM

Don't waste your time with the ti-powercore or the powercore4, it performs the same as a stock 06-07 YZ silencer. The factory 4.1 performs way better and is lighter. The T-4 performs pretty well, but sticks out farther than the factory 4.1 and is louder.

• BrettJ

Posted March 31, 2010 - 02:45 PM

there seems to be a lot of recommendation towards a stock yz silencer. The WR is an 05 model so I think I'm stuck between the 03-06 range. So does everyone agree for an 05 WR 450 the 4.1>Powercore4?
Powercore4 Ti is the same price as a stainless steel factory4.1

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 31, 2010 - 03:11 PM

there seems to be a lot of recommendation towards a stock yz silencer. The WR is an 05 model so I think I'm stuck between the 03-06 range. So does everyone agree for an 05 WR 450 the 4.1>Powercore4?
Powercore4 Ti is the same price as a stainless steel factory4.1

The 4.1 is the more "High performance" out of the 2.

When I got mine, there was a significant price diff between the Ti powercore, and any 4.1....if they were the same price, I would have went for the 4.1.

I heard that the powercore might be geared a bit more towards bottom/mid as compared to the 4.1 which is more track/ top end, but complete hearsay, and I have not compared the two as to how each perform. Someone else on here may have first hand knowledge on how the 2 compare in power delivery.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.