426 crank issues

5 replies to this topic
  • wedge79

Posted March 30, 2010 - 12:54 PM

Ok guy's I am NEW here and some what new to this bike. I bought a 02 426 and when the guy deliverd it he told me that the pump had leaked on him twice and it had been sitting for a year since it was run. Now I couldn't get it started as the carb was crappy inside . So I pulled the oil filter to servic the bike only to find it FULL of metal ! I went looking for it and found the can drive gear on the crand is shot. So I pulled it down and the rest of the motor looks NEW if not rebult. My Q is after extencive reserch it look as if a 03 450 crank should work in the 426 bottom end. The bore on both are the same only the 450 has a 3mm longer stroke. So I would think a 450 piston would fly ? The reason for all this is I am in this thing totaly upside down !! Spent way to much for it and since I have it apart and the rest is so nice I wanted to put a wiseco kit in it. Any info on this or am I going to be the first to try??
Any info on this or help would be great !!
Thank you

Edited by wedge79, March 30, 2010 - 02:00 PM.
wrong heading

• JandJ07

Posted March 30, 2010 - 05:31 PM

From what I have read in here...none of the 450 cranks will work in a 426. A 426 crank will work in a 400 but not a 450 to 426. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

• matt4x4

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:44 AM

450 crank won't work, no correction needed. And don't drop a wiseco crank in....their cranks aren't too good from what I hear about them - hotrods or OEM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha400

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Did you give the 03 crank a go???????

• Timm

Posted April 02, 2010 - 05:06 PM

I just went thru crank issue on my 426.I could not find an aftermarket crank .I up buying a new oem off e-bay,a dealer in ohio. http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

• wedge79

Posted April 03, 2010 - 04:51 AM

Thank's for the info ! I am at the point of eather rebulding the 426 or selling it in parts to fund a 450 ?? What do you all know bout POWEROLL ??

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.