WR400 Jetting suggestions needed

11 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2003 - 05:30 PM

99 WR400 hard to start after temp is above 80f. Ran good when I bought it this winter. YZ timed, snorkle removed, WB promeg with 10 disc's. Started having problems when I failed a noise test and added a silencer core and removed 6 disc's. I have to use the hot start even after a week, and at 4500 feet I have the fuel screw closed.
Jetting 180mj 200maj DTM c-4 48pj 100paj 65sj.(way rich)

Have on order a Pro circuit 496 silencer, EKN and ELN needles, 160mj, 40pj 75paj 55sj
Will this give me a good starting point or is there a better combo to start with? I have been reading old posts on jetting for two weeks now and now I'm really confused.
Thanks Domenic :)

• MOmilkman

Posted June 02, 2003 - 04:03 AM

I will admit, juetting is very confusing to me too. So when I decided to change to YZ timing a month or two ago I was told I need to do two other things.
*Go to YZ jetting (I was fouling plugs with WR jetting)
*Remove the vacumn (octopus) system on the left side of the carb.

I did the above and now my bike runs phenomonally.

All I can suggest is to check my jetting settings below and try that if you want. Bill is the one that suggested it to me and I think Taffy (jetting god) told him about it.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

• MOmilkman

Posted June 02, 2003 - 04:04 AM

ooops. Just noticed your at 4,500 feet. My settings may not work. Sorry. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 02, 2003 - 04:28 AM

I ride at sea level to 10k, removed the ACV (octopus) added a zip-ty fuel screw. Thanks for reply, maybe my new jetting may work :)

• Taffy

Posted June 02, 2003 - 05:34 AM

dia-bach boyo :)

the jetting you are purchasing looks pretty good. if i were to say anything though it's that at 4,500ft you need to have a wider straight to your needle and as we go up by the letter you could do with an EKP nndle and there is even a yamaha needle called the EKQ from yamaha.

the EKQ part # is 5JG-14916-E1-00 this is an anodised yamaha hard wearing MF needle!!! the two needles you have ordered are identical bar their clip position so there isn't a lot of point in ordering two the same!

i would definately get a 35PJ to run with that 40PJ you already have coming. the 35PJ really peps the bottom end up.

good luck

Taffy

• MOmilkman

Posted June 02, 2003 - 08:16 AM

See?

I told you he's the man. :) :D :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 02, 2003 - 11:20 AM

Taffy, I was thinking about using the EKN at clip three vs. the ELN at 4. I also have a 35pj on order, is it ok to use a 75paj? I do most of my riding during the winter at below 1k, right now I'm riding now and then at 4500. Thanks Domenic

• Taffy

Posted June 02, 2003 - 12:26 PM

sounds to me like we should get your bike running sweetly at sea level because this is where it will be spot on. further up the mountain you will start to run richer as the air thins but as you may have learnt, rich bikes survive ok and lean ones are unrideable.

so you get the bike spot on at 1,000ft ok? if it's too yuggy higher up then we can do a kind of 'minimum so as to get on' type thing.

so for 1,000ft your EKN or ELN will be good. a 'P' might also be better a Q IMHO would create a dead spot as you move off making you feed throttle/revs/clutch type of thing (u know what i mean).

forget the EKN and ELN thing. you've essentially bought two identical needles-wrong move but if you're like me WGAS!

so if it's not too late get the EKP instead of one of them.

the 75PAJ should only be used with the 40PJ and maybe as a 'get-you-out-of-trouble' with 38PJ and 42PJ -these are the PJ's either side.

as has been said many a time "buy a Pilot Air Screw because although it's double the cost of one PAJ-you'll never need another"

the ratio's are simple if you know that all PJ's go up 35-38-40-42-45-48. you go up 15 air to every PJ and the startline is 35PJ to 45PA

so it's 35/45, 38/60, 40/75, 42/90, 45/105 or so, 48/120 or so, etc etc.

easy innit. each one of these should give you 1.5 turns of the PS for best snap wheelie response. if the PS is up or down from this it's because your needle straight is a little off.

i never really worry about the needle because it self centres as long as you get everything else right. if you are doing proper back-to-back testing and the needle is on clips 5, 6, 7 then you may ahve a lean MJ and vice versa; especially this onee!!!; a rich MJ and the needle on clips 1, 2 or 3!.

read this through, do some more testing read it again and suddenly like the beginning of 2001 a space odyssey YOU TOO WILL KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH AN OLD BONE!!!!!

good luck

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 02, 2003 - 01:46 PM

How does a EKP needle compare to a EKN? Whats a good clip position to start with? Thanks for the help, I know this subject has been talked to death....Domenic

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 02, 2003 - 03:55 PM

How does a EKP needle compare to a EKN? Whats a good clip position to start with? Thanks for the help, I know this subject has been talked to death....Domenic

Nevermind I checked them out on Sudco's site... :)

• Taffy

Posted June 02, 2003 - 10:00 PM

the subject gets talked to death because even when you write the answer down sometimes people still can't read it.

the clip position for an EKN or EKP is identical-ok?!?!
it's the needle straight that is wider and that is for tickover or idle as you call it.

the needle is there for two reasons. the first is to block the hole at tickover by the correct amount, next it chimes in at mid-throttle which is where you really want it.

so get a grip.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 03, 2003 - 05:23 AM

the subject gets talked to death because even when you write the answer down sometimes people still can't read it.

the clip position for an EKN or EKP is identical-ok?!?!
it's the needle straight that is wider and that is for tickover or idle as you call it.

the needle is there for two reasons. the first is to block the hole at tickover by the correct amount, next it chimes in at mid-throttle which is where you really want it.

so get a grip.

Taffy

Thanks Taffy, I got a grip now :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.