After Market bulbs...

10 replies to this topic
  • Rooster426

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:41 PM

Has anyone upgraded the stock bulb to a Piaa or anything else? I'm curious as to what bulb gives the best bang for the buck. Not looking to rewind my stator or anything (yet). This will be for my new 2008 WR450...

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:10 AM

Has anyone upgraded the stock bulb to a Piaa or anything else? I'm curious as to what bulb gives the best bang for the buck. Not looking to rewind my stator or anything (yet). This will be for my new 2008 WR450...

Dont waste your money on anything but an HID upgrade...

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 30, 2010 - 09:38 AM

Dont waste your money on anything but an HID upgrade...

Agree. Once you go HID, you'll never tolerate a halogen bulb again.

The WR has kind of a weird bulb and not a lot is available to upgrade it. You might find one of those Silverstar series bulbs at Kragen that will fit. I have tried one of those in an H4 configuration that seemed to work fairly well. The stock WR headlight is not the greatest though. One thing you can do is swap to a Baja Designs standard halogen headlight (takes an H4 bulb and has very good optics) and play around with higher wattage bulbs on that as there are a lot of choices for H4 bulbs. Later, when you want to ride full speed at night, upgrading that headlight to HID is super simple.......and cheap! Those PIAA bulbs are way overpriced for what they are.

CoopDawg, this reminds me, the desert is getting warm and will be calling us for a night ride soon! :thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 30, 2010 - 09:50 AM

CoopDawg, this reminds me, the desert is getting warm and will be calling us for a night ride soon! :)

Yes it is...I was out camping this weekend in OW and its was 85 on Sunday...lets just say there was a lot more drinkin (of water) then riding :thumbsup: :lol:

• GCannon

Posted March 30, 2010 - 01:35 PM

I have installed this one:
https://www.bajadesi...b, H-4, 90/100w
It works alot better than stock but it really only offers enough extra light to make it home in the dark after a long ride. It is by no means a race light.

It would be fine for slow technical trails you are familar with but 4th or 5th gear stuff could become dangerous in a hurry.

Read some of the threads by 123BigcoopDawg576. he is the resident expert on the HID upgrade he did a comparison with pictures on his upgrades that is pretty impressive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:04 PM

I have installed this one:
https://www.bajadesi...b, H-4, 90/100w

To the OP...the link that GCannon linked is for the pre 07 bikes...it wont work on your 08. The 08 takes an H6M style bulb.

Here is the stator info link: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=721647

Here is the HID info link: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=788305

Edited by 123BigcoopDawg576, March 30, 2010 - 05:14 PM.

• GCannon

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:23 PM

When I grow up I am going to learn to read!:thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:27 PM

The 08 takes an H4M style bulb.

Make that, an H6M. You need to get away from that good looking stock light housing to get any real light on the trail unfortunately.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 30, 2010 - 05:15 PM

Make that, an H6M. You need to get away from that good looking stock light housing to get any real light on the trail unfortunately.

Yup, not sure how I messed that one up:bonk:

Brett is also correct on ditching the stock shell for any real output:thumbsup:

• panaman

Posted March 31, 2010 - 04:51 AM

Yup, not sure how I messed that one up:bonk:

Brett is also correct on ditching the stock shell for any real output:thumbsup:

the only bad thing is use lose the asthetics.
Another option is to get a nice helmet light

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 31, 2010 - 07:02 AM

the only bad thing is use lose the asthetics.

If its "dark" whos gonna see it :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.