These bikes are to tall. How can I make it shorter?

11 replies to this topic
  • Nitrousman

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:50 PM

I'm picking up a 2005 YZ450 tomorrow and I'm hoping someone can tell me what I can do to make it a little shorter in the saddle since I'm only 5'9" and can barely touch on my tip toes in tennis shoes. No way will I be able to touch with my MX boots on so what are my options? I say an ad for another bike and the guy mentioned having a different swing-arm or something for shorter riders. Can anyone point me in the right direction and give me a ballpark idea of cost? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Send a PM to user YamaLink. He'll have something for you.

• Nitrousman

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, I'll check out his site. Is there any kind of adjustment to the stock setup?

• Chas_M

Posted March 29, 2010 - 10:03 PM

You can always decrease the shock spring preload to increase the rear sag a little and raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps. There are also lower height seats available.

• Nitrousman

Posted March 30, 2010 - 05:31 AM

I'll try adjusting the sag after I pickup the bike tonight. A thinner seat? There's already nothing to the seat on it now so how can they take away even more padding? As thin as it is now I can see it causing a bad case of monkey butt already. Hopefully the sag adjustment is enough. Thanks.

• APlusAutoParts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:38 AM

sorry but that doesnt make any sense to me, im 5'10'' i have an 09 YZ250 2t and an 2010 YZ450F and i fit just fine on my mikes. I have the forks as low as possible on my triple clamps which brings the bike up. I think you should just get a good pair of boots and you will be fine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • APlusAutoParts

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:41 AM

the more i think about it i would check all the swing arm bearings and see if they are rusty and seized. if that were the case the bike would sag correctly when you sat on the bike.

• WB450

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:44 AM

Send a PM to user YamaLink. He'll have something for you.

+1. I have a YamaLink and love it.:thumbsup:

• Smacaroni

Posted March 30, 2010 - 06:53 AM

There's always surgery to make your legs longer. It costs more in the short term, but think about how much you'll save on buying lowering links for a lifetime.
I feel for you, I'm 5'8" and most stuff is too tall for me to be comfortable when stopped.

• Nitrousman

Posted March 30, 2010 - 07:01 AM

Well my inseam is only like 29"-30" so most bikes are a stretch for me. Not super comfortable when I need to have a foot down for control or on uneven ground.

• WB450

Posted March 30, 2010 - 07:30 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=867350

• bob 426

Posted April 03, 2010 - 06:39 AM

+1. I have a YamaLink and love it.:thumbsup:

what the seat height of your bike with the link fitted?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.