WR400 "Basket Case" build

22 replies to this topic
  • schony

Posted March 29, 2010 - 05:38 PM

Well this is my first time digging into a bike to this extent (or even close for that matter). I am a auto tech, and this I must say is a fun change. So here is what I have going on, bought a 98 wr400 for $200 cylinder head and cams all marred up from lack of maintenance. Here is what I've gotten for it

426 jug
426 Rod
13.5:1 piston
Hot cams
good used head
used MSR stator cover (mine was dented and cracked inside...CHEEP)
Engine Armor Clutch cover to go with the MSR (again cheep)
EVERY I mean EVERY Gasket/Seal/Crush washer
Watter Pump Shaft, seals, bearing

It came with

White brothers exhaust
Demon (er something) Rad guards
Pro taper (or similar) Handlebars
and a couple other guards and knick nacks

This thing was a "basket case" the cyl head and jug and other stuff was in a box when I got it. My buddy and I pulled the engine as soon as we got it home. Split the case yesterday used a universal steering wheel puller with some all-thread and pulled the crank. Cleaned the frame with degreaser then brought to the car wash and washed the hell out of it. Well here is where I am at now...

OH, any suggestions for installing the crank? I don't have the special tool...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cleaning the hell out of the engine for the next couple day's. Going to get new plastics to.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:31 PM

You're on the right track and you are doing it right :thumbsup:

Keep the photo's coming :lol: :)

• schony

Posted March 29, 2010 - 08:13 PM

Man so I'm in bed thinking about my carb. Been doing some reading and know all about the needle valve. And the carb is on the list for work tomorrow after my cleaning is finished. I want to inspect/clean/ and modify carb tomorrow. The throttle stop seams to be missing that's about all I know about it so far. What mod's do I want to do with it? Makes me dizzy all these "taffy" "BK" blah blah there are so many out there. What is the current thing to do? I will be riding mainly at 5k+ foot Elevation. I will be sure to record all my jet numbers in the process.

• Birdy426

Posted March 30, 2010 - 10:12 PM

External fuel screw, JD Jet Kit, O-ring mod, and you will be good to go. Probably want to replace the accel pump diaphram while you have it apart. Mixed results on the Boyeson Quick Shot...pays your money and takes your chances...

• matt4x4

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:32 AM

Installing the crank is dead easy - just heat the bearing you're slipping it into and freeze the crank, then BBQ or oven heat the case half you're dropping on to close it up.
If you don't have the tools to rebuild your crank, either send it to Eric Gorr or have a local shop rebuild it for you, it's critical that it is balanced right.

• motodiver13

Posted March 31, 2010 - 08:37 AM

My 2 thoughts on the crank install: I am just finishing a total rebuild of a 98 as well. Put the crank in the freezer for a few hours. Het a socket that is the same diameter as the inner bearing race on the crank bearing to red hot set it on the race for a minute or 2. Crank will drop right in.

• schony

Posted March 31, 2010 - 09:26 AM

Hey thanks guy's, I dropped the crank off at the machine shop on monday, they seamed to know what they where talking about and told me it wouldn't be a problem. I'll order a fuel screw, JD kit, and do some research on the "O-Ring" mod. That is exactly what I needed to know in terms of the crank install thanks for the help it's greatly appreaciated! :thumbsup:

• motodiver13

Posted March 31, 2010 - 10:39 AM

SCHONY- i got just got the zipty fuel screw part # from zipty is FMS02 it was about the only one i found for the older version FCR carb.

• off_road_4_me

Posted March 31, 2010 - 12:09 PM

that bastard! how could he be so heartless towards the bike? :thumbsup:

• schony

Posted March 31, 2010 - 08:18 PM

motodiver thanks a lot for that part number!! I looked at work today and couldn't find one for my carb. Everything seamed to be 2000 and newer!

What do you mean off_road? Who's being heartless, the previous owner? I'm sure she's happy now though, getting a big gust of 2nd wind :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • off_road_4_me

Posted March 31, 2010 - 08:40 PM

yes the previous owner, I mean, look at the plastics, how many days did that thing sit outside?? :thumbsup:

• schony

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:41 AM

a year :thumbsup:

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 01, 2010 - 07:11 AM

I would give some love to the fork and linkage. Seals bearings and grease. Might as well powder coat it too. You could prolly trim the hose on the gas tank.

• Strattos

Posted April 01, 2010 - 06:10 PM

that bastard! how could he be so heartless towards the bike? :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly! What a disgrace. Didn't deserve a bike.

Schony, good to see you're doing the right thing by it. Depending on how much you're spending on parts, looks like you're going to do alright out of this!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep pics coming.

By the way, you might want to consider replacing the cam chain and cam chain tensioner. I've heard of problems with old/poorly maintained motors and cam chain tensioners malfunctioning, which in turn throws your timing out, which in turn can grenade your top end. Not trying to scare you, just something to consider. Don't think tensioners are that expensive.

• schony

Posted April 02, 2010 - 05:43 AM

Thanks, I think I will do o.k. on it. Originally I was planning on just doing a top end but then decided everything needed to be re-sealed and I wanted to upgrade to a 426 for more options down the road. I will have around $1300ish i n this project total (maybe $1500 tops) not great but I think I will have a really nice machine when i am done. I live in colorado and there are 2 wr400's for sale on CL one for 2k and one for 2.2k high demand out in these parts it seams. Hope to get the rest of my stuff today or tomorrow, picking crank up today.

Is the JD jet kit worth it? I here mixed results it's pretty spendy just wondering if I should drop the coin or not.

Thanks
Ryan

• motodiver13

Posted April 02, 2010 - 08:17 AM

Ryan- I'm in CO too. Monument. I would suggest this: I am almost done with mine and some of the mistakes I made: Didnt take any pics. Now I can't seem to remember the cable routing for clutch, decomp. lever and wiring harness routing. (Any help here would be appreciated :thumbsup:) I think that was my biggest error.

• jrs71

Posted April 05, 2010 - 12:18 AM

Keep the pics coming, I'm pulling my 400 down soon for a rebuild.

• schony

Posted April 06, 2010 - 05:46 AM

Man, I haven't done anything to it in the last week... I ordered all my seals from one of those huge online stores and man is it taking a long time to get! :thumbsup: Hope to have them any day then i will do a large update.

• pablo83

Posted April 06, 2010 - 05:59 PM

Is the JD jet kit worth it? I here mixed results it's pretty spendy just wondering if I should drop the coin or not.

I ride Taylor Park, Moab, and occationally near sea level. The WR is real sensitive to big elevation changes like these, so I have the JD kit and I re-jet the bike when I go out of state. For me, the JD kit is a good deal. If you will be staying in state it would be much cheaper to re-jet for your average riding elevation and not worry about the kit.

• Charles De Mar

Posted April 09, 2010 - 12:32 PM

I ride Taylor Park, Moab, and occationally near sea level. The WR is real sensitive to big elevation changes like these, so I have the JD kit and I re-jet the bike when I go out of state. For me, the JD kit is a good deal. If you will be staying in state it would be much cheaper to re-jet for your average riding elevation and not worry about the kit.

x2. the kit is meant for someone who likes to adjust the carb...a lot.:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.