Just bought a wr450...What should I do first???

7 replies to this topic
  • ASUjimbo

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:58 PM

I am new to riding and just bought a 09 wr450. I am not really bike smart so I was wondering what to do as far as cheap performance mods. i.e. throttle stop intake, exhaustetc..If there are any videos that can walk me thru some mods that would be great too! Thanks for your help

• SecaXJ

Posted March 29, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Look at the free mods. They are all pretty simple to do. Then re-jet it. the tutorial on here can walk you through it. Not as hard as it sounds.

• onearmbandit

Posted March 29, 2010 - 02:35 PM

These are the things I would look up and then do.

AIS removal kit
Exaust Baffle removal
Rejet
Grey Wire
Shorten throttle stop
Open Airbox

After that...

Fix suspension for your weight and adjust the cockpit for your height(Bar risers..etc).

I just put a rekluse clutch on mine = WIN

• deucebarajas

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Everything they said:thumbsup:
I bought a 06 WR 450 after ten years of not rideing.
I left everything stock for a month or so to get a handle back on rideing. Then did the mods.WOW!!! what a difference. :thumbsup:
Suspension is a must...espically if your a bigger guy.rode a whole summer on stock...Just sent the suspension out last month. should of done it long time ago. feels so much better now. I had good luck with Prescion Concepts Suspension.
Happy trails:banana:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baja931

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:26 PM

Yeah i would say suspension is the first thing you should do. get it set up right.

• jsantapau

Posted March 30, 2010 - 08:51 AM

read the manual, then do all preliminary checks, including greasing the rear suspension and steering stem bearings, set sag,break in,test ride, see what you don't like from there.

• panaman

Posted March 30, 2010 - 12:26 PM

paint it pink

• erickdj

Posted March 30, 2010 - 12:33 PM

These are the things I would look up and then do.

AIS removal kit
Exaust Baffle removal
Rejet
Grey Wire
Shorten throttle stop
Open Airbox

After that...

Fix suspension for your weight and adjust the cockpit for your height(Bar risers..etc).

I just put a rekluse clutch on mine = WIN

I'd say skip the AIS removal, he's in California, so the last thing he wants is a ticket from a ranger or be turned away from a riding area. If you're concerned about deceleration popping, JB weld is your friend when it comes to the AIS.

read the manual, then do all preliminary checks, including greasing the rear suspension and steering stem bearings, set sag,break in,test ride, see what you don't like from there.

Very good advise there, always consult the manual, specially when it comes to torquing things down.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.