New 04 to me Dr D Exhaust jetting problem maybe

5 replies to this topic
  • martman100

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:25 PM

Okay I am new to the bike world but I recently bought an 04 YZ450 and I don't think the jetting is right due to the popping it has on mid throttle acceleration the tremendous amount on deceleration. A good friend who knows a bit about them thinks the same. I know they pop some on dec. but nothing like this.

It has a 165 main jet and I believe that is stock. I looked at the jetting thread but I got more confused since it looked like a lot of people were running a 158 main with after market pipes and I have never heard of down sizing a main with an after market pipe.

I am in KY so 0 1500 ft altitude should work.

Nothing aftermarket except a twin air air filter. I have not checked the plug color yet but doesn't a 165 seem on the small side. Not sure on the pilot yet either will check it tonight.

What would you all suggest in regards to the DrD SS from a pilot/main standpoint?

If you think the current jetting is okay then what else would I need to look at.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:42 PM

You know that the main jet has not one thing to do with decel popping, right?

Either your exhaust leaks, or your pilot is lean.

• martman100

Posted March 29, 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the links for sure. I knew the main wasn't the issue with the decel popping I just got in a hurry and didn't clarify that.

So 165 sounds right? I am going to check the pilot size and also go over the exhaust I wanted to confirm the main first.

In addition to that I need to check the af screw. I would suspect from reading the other posts that 1.5 to 2.5 would be the "normal" range and outside of that is another indicator.

I will go through the carb as well since the guy I got it from said he has only ridden it maybe 4 or 5 times since 06. Means it has done a lot of sitting.

Thanks again for the links. I don't know how you all find this stuff so easy. I search substantially before I post any questions on these forums.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2010 - 05:58 PM

I don't know how you all find this stuff so easy. I search substantially before I post any questions on these forums.

"Common Threads: Look here 1st! Mods, Maintenance, Common Issues and FAQ's "

Top of the index.

• martman100

Posted March 30, 2010 - 03:23 AM

I read that section and that is where the confusion set in. Since I seen posts that said people with 04s were running 158 main when they come stock with a 165 according to the service manual.

I come from the yfz450 atv world and they have to substantially have the main jet changed for a pipe and a bump up on the pilot circuit as well.

I will get it dialed in thanks for the help.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2010 - 08:45 AM

My point was, in response to your surprise at my being able to find "all this stuff", that all of what I linked you to is posted in Common Threads.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.