problems w/ '01 yz426f :(

5 replies to this topic
  • jordanf1313

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:47 AM

so a while back i was pulling away from a stop and my bike threw a valve. head broke off into the chamber and made a mess. replaced the valve and repaired the slight damage to the piston (header was hardly even marked) and threw it all back together.

now, ive been haveing a mess of trouble getting the bike to run decent. the acceleration is garbage, top speed is half, full throttle it sputters, weak power from a stand still.

ive been playing around with the carb, origionaly the jet was set to 5 and it runs better when i put it on 3. spark plug was showing signs of a rich mix. finally got the pilot set so that the lower rpm responce is better, but i still dont have the power and acceleration that i had before.

is this a carburator problem? or do i need to tear the engine back apart and have another look at all the workings on the top end?

when i rebuilt it, i used the yamaha factory manual, to the "T". i dont doubt my work, and im certain the clearances are to the book. im just stumped now, kinda tired of tearing the carb apart 3 times a day on a hot engine

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2010 - 09:55 AM

If you've had the carb apart, double check that the vacuum plate on the engine side of the slide is not upside down. The round side goes up, square side down.

• jordanf1313

Posted March 30, 2010 - 01:32 PM

i havent completely disassembled the carb, just enough to access the jet needle. i have yet to check all of the vacuum hoses, but im sure they are clear.

ive fallowed the book pretty much word for word and from closed to 1/4 throttle it runs smooth and just fine. the pick up and power stops there though. probably from about 1/2 to full throttle the bike just makes more noise, no acceleration.

could it be a clutch issue? the bike has a Rekluse z-start with the perch adjuster that i had to disconnect to access the header. ive since left it disconnected.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:15 PM

Clean your air filter lately?

• jordanf1313

Posted March 31, 2010 - 12:25 PM

when i had it all appart i cleaned out the filter. ill try running it without the filter, just remove it all together. it doesnt sound like it has breathing problems, but then again i also have a DR.D exaust on it, lol

• jordanf1313

Posted April 06, 2010 - 08:47 AM

ok, new development maybe. i think the z-start is screwing everything up. i dont recall the possition of the cables before i disconnected all ot it, and since then i have played around with different possitions with different results. i have the perch, but what i really need is a picture frome someone who has a good working bike with the z-start installed and a pic of the right side where the cluch cable connects to the trans.

anyone out there have a 426 with a z-start???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.