Genesis "Big Air Carb"

8 replies to this topic
  • scottzx7rr

Posted January 03, 2001 - 03:07 AM

Anyone have any experience or heard anything about this new PSI Carb(known for Snowmobile Upgrades). I was reading about this carb and it is jetless. I heard that the design is as close to fuel injection that you can get. It seems like it might be a good carb to remedy the carb wahoos for the new 426.

------------------
Scott #431
Some Fear Racing "Cause if you don't have any you ain't going fast enough"
'99 YZ400F(Coming to a Theater near you soon)
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
"Doesn't hurt till the bone is exposed"
"When cut do you bleed green? I do!"
Pics

• Scott_F

Posted January 03, 2001 - 07:29 AM

That carb is an impressive billet piece, but it is designed for two strokes. It has no accelerator pump, no TPS, and would probably work poorly on our bikes.

• MrMXer

Posted January 03, 2001 - 08:02 AM

I was initially impressed with the Big Air carb and installed one on a 2000 YZ250 at Loretta's. The response was impressive and rewarded us with better low throttle response (almost too much power to quick) We had a problem with the bike high revving sometimes when the throttle was chopped. We thought it might be the cable, so we picked up a new cable. This didn't help, so the PSI folks said that the Yamaha's needed a stiffer return spring. By the time we got the spring, we had landed a "too good to pass up" deal to ride Honda's so we tried the Carb on the Honda. The set-up did not work on the new Honda, so PSI said the needle was incorrect. After trying and trying to get the thing sorted out (PSI never returned our calls) We managed to get a needle for the Honda. By that time, we had switched back to Yamaha's. (The CR125 turned out to be a dog and we wanted to run both the 125 and 250 class) We gave up on the Carb and it is now sitting on a shelf along with a bunch of dust. I think it may be a good Carb, I just don't have the time for their service. For $600, I can find other company's that offer better service. If you’re interested, make an offer and it may be yours. I would not attempt to run it on the thumper, but if you do, let me know how you make out.

• scottzx7rr

Posted January 03, 2001 - 10:20 PM

Thanks for the Info. That is why I had heard about it. Someone I know talked to them and they said they had a application for the 426. But MrMxer did you notice possible problems with stiction with the slide causing throttle sticking?? Also I heard there could be contamination issues with the needle adjustment acover because there is no seal for the cover that goes over the adjuster. I see that it is a redesign of the "Ole" Lectron design. I had talked to Eric Gorr about them and he had mention those possible problems.

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrMXer

Posted January 03, 2001 - 01:38 PM

It may very well have been a problem with slide stiction. I thought the slide should have been chrome plated or something other than anodized aluminum. As far as the needle adjuster not having a seal, that is not true. There is a small o-ring that seals the needle adjuster when the access cover is slid back into position. It is a very easy carb to make tuning adjustments to, but their service killed my desire to put any more effort into the thing.

• Scott_F

Posted January 03, 2001 - 04:29 PM

scottzx7rr, you could try the Edelbrock carb, which I think evolved from the Quiksilver carb, which may be distant kin to the Lectron carb...

Or, if you got long green, you could try the EFI system and tell us how great it is...

• motoman393

Posted January 03, 2001 - 06:37 PM

go for the edelbrock qwiksilver pumper carb! It works awesome had it on my XR400! Or go for the high tech PSI stuff!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• scottzx7rr

Posted January 04, 2001 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the info. I agree if anyone ever made FI for the YZ it would be a perfect bike. LOL I really think that is going to be the next bike step for the YZF evolution. That would resolve all the jetting issues. I didn't even know that Edelbrock made a carb for bikes other than Harley's and Drag Bikes. Learn something new everyday.

------------------
Scott #431
'92 ZX-7R and '97 ZX-7RR
Pics

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted January 04, 2001 - 10:05 PM

Originally posted by scottzx7rr:
I agree if anyone ever made FI for the YZ it would be a perfect bike

It's already being done :) http://www.optimum-p...m/main-mgmt.htm

PhilDirt who posts occasionally on DRN is Phil McDowell the Chief Technology Officer for Optimum and did the major design work on the system. I saw it at last years Indy show and it was quite trick. They have another year of development in it since then and will likely announce pricing and shipping dates at this years Indy show in mid-Feb. Can't wait.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.