won't run unless fully choked

6 replies to this topic
  • hunterdane

Posted March 28, 2010 - 04:26 PM

i let the bike warm up for 30+ minutes and it would just die when i would shut off the choke. i think there is a clog in the fuel system somewhere but i don't know where to start.

• jfgjr

Posted March 28, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Pilot jet. Take old one out insert a new 42 and you should be good to go. You can try to clean the existing one but not worth it IMO. Sometimes sand clogs it and you can't see it because some of the grains are clear. Just loosen the clamps that mount the carb rotate it and pull the 17mm plug at the bottom. It is in a recess that can be reached with a small flathead screwdriver, it's pretty easy. Good luck:thumbsup:

• rgood4

Posted March 31, 2010 - 07:35 PM

Pilot jet. Take old one out insert a new 42 and you should be good to go. You can try to clean the existing one but not worth it IMO. Sometimes sand clogs it and you can't see it because some of the grains are clear. Just loosen the clamps that mount the carb rotate it and pull the 17mm plug at the bottom. It is in a recess that can be reached with a small flathead screwdriver, it's pretty easy. Good luck:thumbsup:

+1 on the 42 pilot. Cured the problem on my bike. Make sure you get the fuel screw properly adjusted as well.

• Hit_the_set

Posted April 01, 2010 - 05:24 AM

i let the bike warm up for 30+ minutes and it would just die when i would shut off the choke. i think there is a clog in the fuel system somewhere but i don't know where to start.

defiantly try the pilot jet.

But you should never let the bike just idle for 30 min. That's torture on the bike. It'll get way to hot. I'm surprised that if you let it run that long it didn't over heat.

• condor74

Posted April 01, 2010 - 06:36 PM

+1 on the warm up time. The bike will usually come up to operating temp with in about 1 or 2 minutes. After 30 minutes of idling the bike may shut off cause it is overheating. Definitely check and replace the pilot jet.

• xplant

Posted April 04, 2010 - 03:49 AM

I installed a very small inline auto fuel fitler in the carb supply line over a year ago. We ride sand environments all of the time, but no more dissassembling the bike to clean a jet.

• hunterdane

Posted April 13, 2010 - 09:16 PM

when you say 42 pilot is that the "slow air" jet because online when i look under 42 for the reference number it says it's the slow air jet

Related Content

Forums
Photo

CRF250X vs KTM 250 XCF-W by mx_forever

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

KDX 200 vs CRF 250 X? :D by 01KDX200

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  25 replies
Forums
Photo

crf450x or crf250x by Ahner21

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450X
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Exhaust! FMF powercore 4 or factory 4.1? by blakeruble

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Yamaha WR250F Vs. Honda CRF250X by james06

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  51 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.