2 oz increase in fww make much difference?

9 replies to this topic
  • CanadianWR450

Posted March 28, 2010 - 02:33 PM

Looking into a heavier fww and the only one i can find is a +2 oz from Trail Tech, and well...it's pricey!

2 oz make that much of a difference?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 28, 2010 - 09:22 PM

2 oz on a 450... you won't even notice.

Why would you need the fww on a bike that pulls so strong from down low anyways. What problem are you trying to solve?

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:16 AM

This one...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=890562

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:18 AM

This one...

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=890562

this is what I was experiencing when I had 14/52 on my 450. It didn't feel quite right.

I would gear up. I think you have the right idea with 14/48. That will make 1st gear more usable. You'll be able to gently use the throttle to pull you up hills. 2nd gear becomes taller and more usable for you. I think you'll be able to ride more agressively. At 13 tooth counter sprocket is dirt cheap and you will get an idea of how gearing up willl change things.

btw... you think that the 450 has no traction, you should ride my yz250 smoker. That thing spins the rear wheel all the time. Its crazy. I went from 14/50 to 14/47 on the gearing and now its much smoother.

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 29, 2010 - 09:08 AM

Well, I went into the shop today, and priced out all the OEM stuff, and then, just for giggles, I compared the OEM list and price to a list with a Anthena 480 kit.

The big bore was less then a $70 canadian price difference. I couldn't say no...you know how it is.....

I think gearing is the key to getting the feel/pull I want...guess I'll know for sure in about a month!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:25 AM

this is what I was experiencing when I had 14/52 on my 450. It didn't feel quite right.

I would gear up. I think you have the right idea with 14/48. That will make 1st gear more usable. You'll be able to gently use the throttle to pull you up hills. 2nd gear becomes taller and more usable for you. I think you'll be able to ride more agressively. At 13 tooth counter sprocket is dirt cheap and you will get an idea of how gearing up willl change things.

btw... you think that the 450 has no traction, you should ride my yz250 smoker. That thing spins the rear wheel all the time. Its crazy. I went from 14/50 to 14/47 on the gearing and now its much smoother.

that is good advise... a gear change on my 06 made a ton of difference..

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 29, 2010 - 12:48 PM

that is good advise... a gear change on my 06 made a ton of difference..

Agreed, and much appreciated....
Between the HotCam's and the big bore, the ol blue beasty should have no issues pulling the higher gears, and I think this will be the feel I'm looking for...
If 14/48 feels better, but not quite enough I can try a 15/50, or a even a 15/48 combo (although 15/48 seems a bit much to me right now....)
I'll just make sure not to use 5th for health concerns....lol

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2010 - 01:47 PM

Agreed, and much appreciated....
Between the HotCam's and the big bore, the ol blue beasty should have no issues pulling the higher gears, and I think this will be the feel I'm looking for...
If 14/48 feels better, but not quite enough I can try a 15/50, or a even a 15/48 combo (although 15/48 seems a bit much to me right now....)
I'll just make sure not to use 5th for health concerns....lol

sounds like it will be a fun ride... i have a friend who has an 04, mine is an 06, both steel framed, geard the same (before i changed mine) and i have rode them back to back and i swear his is faster and more low end than mine... no clue why.. i was really struggling with mine until i changed it..not anymore..

• CanadianWR450

Posted March 29, 2010 - 04:53 PM

I believe the changed the head and cam profile between the 04, and 05 to mellow the hit out actually......

• jayh300

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:14 PM

that would make sense..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.