2010 FI Tuner

6 replies to this topic
  • honda907

Posted March 28, 2010 - 04:16 AM

Anybody play with the new FI tuner from Yamaha? I have and I haven't found a setting that is much different from stock, although the 2nd map from Yamaha's website made the bike hesitate slightly upon takeoff of a jump. Not a bog, but just a little stumble going from mid to top end.

Anyhow, I haven't found the settings make much difference so far. I was riding in deep loam, so I was looking for a little harder hit, but of the 4 maps I tried, they all seem to work worse than the stock map. The stock map got up and went the best. Some of the other maps didn't want to pull 3rd as well, although I DID NOT do any lap times to verify this. Just seat of the pants.

I am looking for a little harder pull through the mid and top. I like the barky bottom, except going through the pits. Guys who have this bike know what I mean!

This is just FYI and my impression:

I have found that this bike needs a holeshot device, as it wheelies easily off the line. I had one on my 09, never used it, so I took one off a CRF 450 that I have and used it on the 2010. I think the new bike wheelies easier than the 09, probably because of the weight bias. Tried 8 starts, and the holeshot device is noticeable. With the crf450 device, I found I could clamp the ring around the fork tube and adjust the height to where I wanted it. I liked that idea. After the starts, I noticed the times I didn't use the device, I wheelied. Times I used it, I was on the gas much harder in the first 15 foot. No appreciable wheelie. Doing all things the same.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 28, 2010 - 05:28 AM

If you are looking for more bottom end from the bike then your out of luck. The stock map is as good as it gets IMO unless you make some mods to the bike.

The holeshot device from the 09 will work with out any issues.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2010 - 07:42 AM

Anybody play with the new FI tuner from Yamaha?

There is a list of maps used by others in a sticky on the index page, and at least a dozen posts on this subject.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • delmas

Posted March 28, 2010 - 11:55 AM

Anybody play with the new FI tuner from Yamaha? I have and I haven't found a setting that is much different from stock, although the 2nd map from Yamaha's website made the bike hesitate slightly upon takeoff of a jump. Not a bog, but just a little stumble going from mid to top end.

Anyhow, I haven't found the settings make much difference so far. I was riding in deep loam, so I was looking for a little harder hit, but of the 4 maps I tried, they all seem to work worse than the stock map. The stock map got up and went the best. Some of the other maps didn't want to pull 3rd as well, although I DID NOT do any lap times to verify this. Just seat of the pants.

I am looking for a little harder pull through the mid and top. I like the barky bottom, except going through the pits. Guys who have this bike know what I mean!

This is just FYI and my impression:

I have found that this bike needs a holeshot device, as it wheelies easily off the line. I had one on my 09, never used it, so I took one off a CRF 450 that I have and used it on the 2010. I think the new bike wheelies easier than the 09, probably because of the weight bias. Tried 8 starts, and the holeshot device is noticeable. With the crf450 device, I found I could clamp the ring around the fork tube and adjust the height to where I wanted it. I liked that idea. After the starts, I noticed the times I didn't use the device, I wheelied. Times I used it, I was on the gas much harder in the first 15 foot. No appreciable wheelie. Doing all things the same.

I use the Yamaha map Sharpe throttle responce more overall power.
I found this map a big difference from stock and I like it a lot.
I also have the GYTR pipe.
This map has excatly what you are looking for.
The mid through top is great

• honda907

Posted March 28, 2010 - 01:28 PM

I use the Yamaha map Sharpe throttle responce more overall power.
I found this map a big difference from stock and I like it a lot.
I also have the GYTR pipe.
This map has excatly what you are looking for.
The mid through top is great

I tried 6 different maps. If you are calling the Yamaha Sharpe throttle responce the one I call the 2nd map, then I thought it wasn't as good. I road the stock map more today, and I think it is by far the best. The bike isn't faster than my 09, just much different. Kinda like a carbureted Honda: It has a tractor motor, or hooked up motor, whereas the older Yamahas had a more zingy power kinda like a 2 smoke. I am adapting to it. I take back the handling thing. The 09 doesn't handle like this bike in long flat sweepers or sweeping off cambers. This bike eats that stuff up! And I think it turns very well with the stock clamps. I thought it would be hard to top the 09, but I am wrong. It is good, just took 4 or so hours to get used to it.

I am looking for more power on top, as it goes a little flat, unlike my 09, but maybe with all the lowend grunt, I won't need it. I've found this grunty lowend puts a lot less strain on the rear wheel, therefore it really hooks up!! It doesn't look flashy, but I know that I am faster on the bike without all that torque going through the chain and making it squat. I just have to get used to steering the bike with the front instead of wheel spinning the rear like a 2 smoke, which is what I focused on at Rocket Raceway today.

• honda907

Posted March 28, 2010 - 01:34 PM

There is a list of maps used by others in a sticky on the index page, and at least a dozen posts on this subject.

I did try a few of them. I am thinking NOBODY who has the best map is going to share it!! I know I probably wouldn't want to share it with the world!!

The maps I tried are the 4 Yamaha maps and a modified Marmount map. I found stock was best for me.

I would like to get a Dr D pipe as I am sponsored by them, but my wife said no!! Spent enough for the bike. (Maybe later????)

I was at PR2 Racing picking up my boys rm 85 motor, and they said the motor puts out almost 53 stock. They told me it was a beast.

• honda907

Posted March 28, 2010 - 01:42 PM

If you are looking for more bottom end from the bike then your out of luck. The stock map is as good as it gets IMO unless you make some mods to the bike.

The holeshot device from the 09 will work with out any issues.

Thanks. I am going to keep the one on my 09 and just use the one for my old Honda on my 2010

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.