Are the new bikes that much better than my 04?

9 replies to this topic
  • xl-one

Posted March 26, 2010 - 09:45 PM

I really like my 04 yz450 although I really don't have anything to compare it to. It is my first dirtbike in several years and I have done minor mods to personalize it for me such as heavier flywheel,tall seat,graphics..etc. It runs well, has plenty of power, and seems to handle well (as far as I know) I guess what I'm asking is a new bike worth spending the 7-8 grand? are the new models that much better than mine?

• TD-3

Posted March 27, 2010 - 03:07 AM

My 06 is much better than my old 03 for me....so that would be for you to decide. If you have a chance to try even an 06....go for it...I think you'll be surprised at how different the two bikes are.

• crf450319

Posted March 27, 2010 - 04:12 AM

Yes, in my opinion they are. But, for me spending $7 or $8 grand for a new2010 is a bit of a stretch but a new '09 (at $5000) sure isn't. The feel of a new bike is always nice and is something I usually forget about when the bike has 50+ hours on it. And going to a bike that's 5 years and a model change newer, along with minor refinements from '06 to '09 is going to be a substantial change. Granted a new bike will usually take some "tweaking" to get it where you want it.

The question is, what is justifiable for you ?

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 27, 2010 - 04:39 AM

Yes, in my opinion they are. But, for me spending $7 or $8 grand for a new2010 is a bit of a stretch but a new '09 (at $5000) sure isn't. The feel of a new bike is always nice and is something I usually forget about when the bike has 50+ hours on it. And going to a bike that's 5 years and a model change newer, along with minor refinements from '06 to '09 is going to be a substantial change. Granted a new bike will usually take some "tweaking" to get it where you want it.

The question is, what is justifiable for you ?

Good comment. I agree.

I think the major improvement from say '04 to recent is not so much chassis technology or a superior engine, but less WEIGHT... If any of you remember your first trip around the track on a pig heavy YZ426F (most of us just coming off a 250cc 2 stroke) you thought to yourself "OMG, am I going to make it to the end of the moto ?!" or "I hope I don't stall this 426 near the end of the moto !" :thumbsup:

No doubt technology has come a LONG way BUT so has the cost of a new bike... For me will a 2010 make me faster than my '07 ? No. and it would cost me approx $5000 to quickly figure this out (me selling my '07, and buying a new '10)

• BBrown626

Posted March 27, 2010 - 11:41 AM

The '04 has all the power of the '10. The '04 handles horribly in comparison. That said, you can be every bit as fast on the '04-'09. I really like the handling and ergonomics of the newer bikes. I like the aluminum frame over the painted steel as well. The newer forks do soak things up better. As someone else suggested, if you want a new bike the '09 is the best bang for the buck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted March 27, 2010 - 06:56 PM

The biggest improvment is the suspension. The 06 and up stuff is way better. I really like the 04 motor though. I think it had the best combination of bottom end but still able to rev.

• xl-one

Posted March 27, 2010 - 07:20 PM

I've decided to hang on to the 04 a little longer, one thing I would like to change is the power seems to drop off a little at higher rpms. Is this normal? Would a pipe help this? if so, can anyone recommend a good pipe that doesn't cost a zillion dollars?

• saccityfire

Posted March 27, 2010 - 07:35 PM

The main improvement IMO came with the SSS (speed sensitive suspension) Kayaba forks used on the 06 and newer YZ's. Previous to 06, they used a position sensitive fork. I've owed an 02 250F, 05 250 (smoker), an 06 450f and currently own an 09 450f. The best bike stock IMO was the 06 450. The difference in the front forks was amazing and made the Race Tech 250f and RG3 05 250 (both built for me) seem like real pieces of junk. The new shocks are so much better that I haven't put a dime into suspension work on either the 06 or 09.

Before you jump on me for selling the 06 for the 09, I blew my back out in November 06 and sold it to keep from losing resale value. In June 09, I couldn't take not having a bike any longer ad got the 09.

The 09 is lighter and a lot of it (the weight) came out of the unsprung areas which no doubt helps the forks and shock do their job more efficiently but honestly, it is not a huge difference and took a $500 pipe to wake up the motor. I'm looking for a good used 06 450 for a friend right now.

Again just a hack's opinion.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 27, 2010 - 08:44 PM

I've decided to hang on to the 04 a little longer, one thing I would like to change is the power seems to drop off a little at higher rpms. Is this normal? Would a pipe help this? if so, can anyone recommend a good pipe that doesn't cost a zillion dollars?

To me that is one of the biggest differences between my 04 like you have and my 08 I just picked up new about 6 months ago. The motor on the 04 I basically rode that thing on the rev limiter and my 08 just pulls and pulls and pulls some more. I rarely hit the limiter on my 08.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 28, 2010 - 04:52 AM

The main improvement IMO came with the SSS (speed sensitive suspension) Kayaba forks used on the 06 and newer YZ's. Previous to 06, they used a position sensitive fork. I've owed an 02 250F, 05 250 (smoker), an 06 450f and currently own an 09 450f. The best bike stock IMO was the 06 450. The difference in the front forks was amazing and made the Race Tech 250f and RG3 05 250 (both built for me) seem like real pieces of junk. The new shocks are so much better that I haven't put a dime into suspension work on either the 06 or 09.

Before you jump on me for selling the 06 for the 09, I blew my back out in November 06 and sold it to keep from losing resale value. In June 09, I couldn't take not having a bike any longer ad got the 09.

The 09 is lighter and a lot of it (the weight) came out of the unsprung areas which no doubt helps the forks and shock do their job more efficiently but honestly, it is not a huge difference and took a $500 pipe to wake up the motor. I'm looking for a good used 06 450 for a friend right now.

Again just a hack's opinion.

Gotta' agree 100% . The '06+ forks have definately taken positive "leaps and bounds" (no pun) . The first ride I had on my buddies brand new at the time aluminum framed '06 was just amazing !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.