01' 462f Carb cleaning

2 replies to this topic
  • mgb_tracker

Posted March 25, 2010 - 06:51 PM

I've posted once before, but only now have i had an opportunity to actually start on getting my ole YZ going. My ride is an 01' 426 that i had rode 1 season and ended having to give up riding due to unforseen circumstances. Flash forward 8 years and trying to get this beast running again.

During my inspection, i noted that i had emptied the tank when i had quit riding it, so it was pretty clean inside. I pulled the plug at the bottom of the float bowl and it was pretty nasty stuff in there. A light carmel color and pretty thick stuff. I spayed a little carb cleaner in the gas line inlet and let it sit for a bit. I thought i should at least attempt to get it started before pulling the carb and such. I put some fresh gas in and replaced the spark plug and at first it wanted to start, but i think it was just the carb cleaner burning off. At this point, i'm pretty sure i need to pull the carb and do some cleaning.
My questions to you folk is, what kind of cleaning should i start with? I'm not very familiar with this type of carb. Should i do some form of soak or just a good spray down? Is there anything i should be careful with etc...?
TIA for your thoughts and suggestions,

-MGB

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:31 PM

Don't soak it, don't remove the TPS from the carb, and don't separate the upper and lower halves of the carb body (the joint above the float bowl) .

Read:

http://www.thumperta...726#post8021726

• mgb_tracker

Posted March 27, 2010 - 07:00 PM

Pulled the carb, sprayed it out and made sure all the old gas was out.

The beast is now running!

Thanks,

-MGB

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.