Chains

4 replies to this topic
  • AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted May 30, 2003 - 06:31 PM

Dear fellow pig mounters,

I am at that stage of my BRP life cycle where the sprocket's teeth are getting a bit thin. I am looking at the Titax SS and a DID X ring. I have not had experience with an endless chain and I have several questions: 1)Does the DID xring come in the box endless or with an end and a rivet link or is that bought seperate? Do I buy the tools (chain breaker and press) from Scott's or where? It seems like for the price of the tools that I should just take my scooter to Baja Design or somewhere and have them put it on. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :)

• Pig_N_CR5hundy

Posted May 31, 2003 - 04:10 AM

Hey thumpdad, I put a DID X on my 5hundy. Bought a link puller for $12 at cycle parts west when I bought the chain. It took 5 minutes tops. Very simple.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • juanroberts

Posted May 31, 2003 - 05:37 AM

I just installed the DID ERV2 on my XR650R. It is what Honda uses in Baja. It comes with a staked link. I rode it with the old chain to a local mechanic who had the tools. He lent them to me and with a little help was able to do it myself. I think the original is linkless, and a staked link is way better than the a clipped link. I got it at White Rhino for $106, which is way better than the $170 most places quote for this chain. I also used an Ironman sprocket, which is the way to go. Aluminum is cheese on the XR650R's. Also, when adjusting your chain, get the sprockets to align. I have been told the notches on the spacers do not do a good job of aligning your rear wheel, and this wears your sprockets faster.

John

• Rokatt88

Posted May 31, 2003 - 10:18 AM

Yes, a very timely topic! Could someone elaborate more on sprocket alignment/spacers? I'm going to be needing a chain as well. Is a staked masterlink going to get me back to an endless chain? Inquiring minds want to know! What are you Baja Guys running for chains and sprockets! Thanks!:)

• qadsan

Posted May 31, 2003 - 05:15 PM

Get a good chain like the DID ERV2. If you use a 'stainless steel' sprocket like the Ironman, or the Titax from from Rocky Mountain or the one from Moose, you'll be fine for a very very long time :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.