Oil Smoking after Top End rebuild?

8 replies to this topic
  • Metage

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:43 AM

I just picked my 05 YZ450 up from the local shop.. I went to start it and noticed that it started barrelling out smoke.. It's light blue and smells like oil so I'm guessing something might be wrong.. Here's what they done:

Cam Chains
Piston Rings
Left Cover Gasket
Head Gasket
Base Gasket
Cylinder Dowell

And then it just says "Seals" on the receipt.. Will the smoking go away or should I be taking it back to the shop..

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:11 AM

You should take it back to them, demonstrate the condition to the manager, and ask how he wants you to proceed. Have his comments and instructions documented.

• Valkrider15

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:18 AM

And this is why I have learned to do this type of work myself. At least if I scew it up I have no one to Blame!! And doing a top end on a 4t is really not that difficult - especially if you have the manual and take your time. :thumbsup:

• Metage

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Ok thanks GrayRacer..

I actually just got off the phone with him and he said the Rings may take a little bit to set.. And he also said just keep an eye on the oil level and if it uses a lot of oil and it's still smoking after about 4-5 hours of ride time to bring it in and will be fixed for free.. That was over the phone.. In person may be a different $tory :thumbsup:

Valk,
I have no mechanical abilities at all.. Everything I've ever taken apart just ends up getting bolts lost or something messed up.. Plus I don't have the correct facility nor the tools to work on anything.. If it's minor I usually take it to my friends garage and do whatever there... Wait, I'm a guy with no shop or tools.. I need to grow a pair eh? LoL I'm not a hardcore racing guy like most here.. I just like to hit some jumps here and there and ride with friends in the woods.. I'm more of the casual rider with a mean bike :/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nickmell

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:24 AM

did it do it as soon as you picked it up? if so it might just be oil used to lube the cylinder when putting every thing together and it shouldnt last long . If it continues to do this you have other problems

• Metage

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:28 AM

did it do it as soon as you picked it up? if so it might just be oil used to lube the cylinder when putting every thing together and it shouldnt last long . If it continues to do this you have other problems

Yea, well.. I picked it up yesterday and due to working 4PM to 12:30 i didn't get a chance to ride it.. I broke her out of the shed today fired it up and it was smoking pretty bad.. Then i rode it.. The smoke got a little lighter but not much.. When it's fully warmed up it doesn't smoke that bad.. Just when it's cold is it really noticeable.. So I'm gonna give it a couple of hours and see how it pans out.. If it still smokes then back to the shop she goes.

• brentn

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:31 AM

If it's barreling out smoke, sounds like something is def wrong.

If the cylinder was not honed, then maybe the rings including the oil seal may require some time to seat. Anyone else think that this is the case?

• Valkrider15

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:59 AM

When I re-did the top end on my 2006 450F I had no smoking problems at all. Something sounds wrong to me - but I am certainly not a professional mechanic! :thumbsup:

Metag - No better time than the current to learn how to work on these things. In the long run you'll be saving money and having the satisfaciton that the bike is being maintained correctly. No too many specialty tools needed and I would bet you can find someone here on TT that would be happy to assist.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 11:35 AM

... he said the Rings may take a little bit to set..

I'll say this in the most respectful way possible, but...BS.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.