01 426

2 replies to this topic
  • wr400fk

Posted December 31, 2000 - 04:34 PM

are the 01 rear hubs any different than the 00 hubs i know from 99 to 00 they were lighter which is probably why they break i do have a new 01 and did not ride yet too cold but am thinking of talon front and rear for safety reasons

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt406

Posted January 02, 2001 - 03:08 PM

Many peoples hubs are breaking because of a mistake made in tightening the chain. Yamaha's swingarm makes a very tight spot where the countershaft bolt and swingarm bolt become parallel. People tighten the chain according to the manuals specifications. These are wrong, the chain should be a little bit looser. When the swingarm is at its tight spot, ther is alot of pressure, so it pulls the sprocket/hub out. There were a few faulty hubs, but not anymore. Check your chain tension. This is the most common problem with hub failure.
Matt

------------------

• motoman393

Posted January 02, 2001 - 03:15 PM

I agree... the freeplay for the chain should be 2 - 2.2 inches (the manual says 1.6 - 2.0 inches)! The hubs are the same for 01' but they are fresh out of the mold so im sure if there was any flaws in casting they are fixed now! Just make sure you check your spokes and sprockets bolts before and after each ride (my sprockets bolts have yet to come loose)! As for the talon hubs I would wait til the 01' get more time (and abuse) on them to see if the hubs are any better this year (plus talons are EXPENSIVE)!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.