super low gearing tight trails

15 replies to this topic
  • humpness

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:55 PM

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

• SparksXR426

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:05 PM

i am running a 13/51 on my 07. i was wondering if any one has played around with any lower gearing than this. i would like to throw on a 12 just to see how it responds. just curious kind of a boredom question.

I run 13/53 and I like it. Bike still will do 60 something MPH wound out and thats plenty fast for me. I would have put a 12 on to start but apparently it wears hard on the swingarm.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:09 PM

12's are hard on the chain slider, hard on the chain, and hard on themselves (they wear out noticeably faster than a 13)

• humpness

Posted March 24, 2010 - 11:30 PM

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

• Family Man

Posted March 25, 2010 - 12:42 AM

You don't want to add links to a chain. Creates a weak spot for the chain to break.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 25, 2010 - 02:42 AM

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

• SparksXR426

Posted March 25, 2010 - 05:14 AM

Keep in mind, you may find that running a 12T actually makes your big YZ more difficult to manuever through real technical terrain. Sometimes IMO, it's easier to just lug the engine rather than rev. Lower gearing = snappier higher revs. But try it and see how you like it...

I encourage riders to always get a flywheel weight first when I read "woods riding" FWW's are awesome !

For the most part I would agree but it depends on what you consider really technical, with 13/53 on mine first still isnt low enough sometimes to stay off the clutch, that was the point in gearing it down that far. I would say that 90 percent of my time is spent in first through third and that gearing for me is just about perfect.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 08:10 AM

i wonder if my chains long enough for a 53 I guess i might have an extra link.

Should be long enough. The wheel will need to move forward about 7/16" from its original position.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'm running 12/49 on mine right now and it seemed to help but I still have problems with the bike stalling in tight terrain. In a perfect world I think 13/55 would be the hot ticket, its very close to how I had my old 426 geared and that bike was a tractor.

• DrThumper

Posted March 25, 2010 - 12:52 PM

I race super tight trail up here in the Rockies.
At first I was using a stock front and 52 rear, but as I gained experience I slowly went down in the rear, 51, now 50.
One thing that made a big difference wasn't the gearing but bolstering up the low-end. I leaned out my pilot, added a fuel atomizer (accel pump cover; Boyeson or Factory R&D) and a K&N air filter. Later added the PowerBomb, that I swear help the throttle-ability to trackability (whatever...) it helped the throttle response at lower speeds/rpms.

• coreyl

Posted March 25, 2010 - 06:42 PM

im running 13/48 and it does fine on the trails

• JimmyBee

Posted March 25, 2010 - 06:49 PM

12/50 . works great on tight single track, no top speed though.

• humpness

Posted March 28, 2010 - 02:51 PM

i have a 9oz gytr fw. I like my gearing 13/51 but I thought it interesting to check out a 12 just because they are $25. would be nice to use more gears since i dont know if my chain would accommodate a larger rear sprocket.

• YamaLink

Posted March 29, 2010 - 07:32 AM

I've run a 12t in some super duper tight riding, and even had a 12 along with a Steahly flywheel, but overall I prefer to go up 1 or 2 in back.

• Stroker06

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:54 AM

I am running a 13/52 now. All I ride is tight woods trails. I too only use 1st through 3rd gear 95% of the time. I still would like some lower gearing, at times, but think a FWW would make things a lot better.
Have you considered a Rekluse? I hear they help some for lower speed trails and help prevent stalling.

• humpness

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:57 AM

i am just wondering about gearing i dont care about stalling.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.