How to hook up hourmeter?

10 replies to this topic
  • gsa102

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:51 PM

I bought a generic digital hourmeter at the bike shop, and it says to wrap the lead around the spark plug wire, or around the dust boot on a "pencil" type spark plug cap. I assume that means the one on my 07 450F. But the dust boot only sticks up 1/2" - will it still work wrapped around that?

Anybody else have the same setup?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:01 PM

I would imagine the YZ is the same as the WR in this respect. The coil is actually the cap on top of the plug and that is what you wire the hour meter around. I put 3 to 4 winds around it and used a pair of zip ties to keep it in place. That's it.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:55 AM

I would imagine the YZ is the same as the WR in this respect. The coil is actually the cap on top of the plug and that is what you wire the hour meter around. I put 3 to 4 winds around it and used a pair of zip ties to keep it in place. That's it.

+1 :thumbsup:

• Jackazz

Posted March 25, 2010 - 11:32 AM

I bought a generic digital hourmeter at the bike shop, and it says to wrap the lead around the spark plug wire, or around the dust boot on a "pencil" type spark plug cap. I assume that means the one on my 07 450F. But the dust boot only sticks up 1/2" - will it still work wrapped around that?

Anybody else have the same setup?

I don't have an hour meter, but I'm betting it's the same as the install for the tach lead on the trailtech vapor (minus the ground wire). Look at option 4 on page two of this PDF.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 25, 2010 - 12:14 PM

I don't have an hour meter, but I'm betting it's the same as the install for the tach lead on the trailtech vapor (minus the ground wire). Look at option 4 on page two of this PDF.

That is EXACTLY how...nice example :thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• Tach.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsa102

Posted March 27, 2010 - 04:35 PM

Thanks, got it hooked up. The wire wouldn't fit beneathe the dust cap, so i wrapped it around between the dust cap and the power connector, and put a couple wraps of electrical tape on it. Worked good - until....

I ran the bike out of gas and it was a mother to restart. Got it fired and then took it down the road 1/4 mile and it coughed a couple times and died. I was kicking and cranking and i noticed the hourmeter wasn't flashing its little hourglass - Is that an indication that the plug fouled?

I tried a spark tester and it sparked and the hourmeter flashed. Just ran out of ambition before I tried to figure out how to get the plug out.

Edit - some dummy didn't check to see if the coil feed wire was hooked up correctly, and it lost contact - that is why the hourmeter wasn't picking up a coil signal...

Thanks for the help

Edited by gsa102, March 28, 2010 - 01:42 PM.
New information

• Works_Connection

Posted September 29, 2010 - 12:32 PM

Here is a short video we made going over the installation process of our tach / hour meters. We get a lot of inquires asking how to do it...so we decided to make a video to simplify things :smirk:

...Eric

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted September 29, 2010 - 01:14 PM

Here is a short video we made going over the installation process of our tach / hour meters. We get a lot of inquires asking how to do it...so we decided to make a video to simplify things :p

...Eric

Yup but no need to post it in every forum/thread :smirk:

• chevytrkn1

Posted September 29, 2010 - 04:14 PM

were is everyone putting the hour meter?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 30, 2010 - 10:40 AM

were is everyone putting the hour meter?

I don't need to constantly look at the thing so I zip tied it to the subframe over the top of the airbox. May move it to the inside of the airbox door at some point just so it's more easily accessible.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted October 02, 2010 - 08:51 AM

Eric at Works Connection - thank you for post the link about the hour meter mounting! Great advice because I have seen many mounted wrong and fall off.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.