new bike / when to change oil ?

19 replies to this topic
  • czechalien

Posted March 24, 2010 - 03:46 PM

After putting 2 hrs on a brand new bike I changed the oil (Semi synth. racing Belray)
Now I have 2 more hrs on it (total 4hrs) how often should I change it and is a good enough oil?

THX much

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:16 PM

The question of how often to change the oil in a YZF is complicated by the fact that the oil si shared with the transmission, and the question has less to do with the engine, or with synthetics vs. conventional oils than it does with whether the oil is really formulated to be used as a gear lube.

There are a lot of very good engine oils available, and most of them will do a good job of protecting the engine in just about anything. What there are not is a lot of engine oils that are blended with a tough enough set of oil additives to allow them to retain their viscosity in the transmission, and viscosity loss becomes an issue long before heat resistance, oxidization, etc., comes into play. This situation has begun to improve over the last 3 years, however.

Look at page 9 of this oil comparison at the results of the standard ASTM D-6278 viscosity shear stability test. Note how some oils remain in the correct measured viscosity range to the end of the test, while some fall out and become very much thinner.

I use Amsoil MCF, and find that the oil stays in grade to somewhere outside of 8-10 hours, so I change it every 3rd or 2nd ride day, depending on what the upcoming ride will be like. Shell Rotella, OTOH, a very popular commercial oil, and a very good engine oil looses a great deal of viscosity very rapidly, and should be changed each ride day if you use it. If you ride long distances, I wouldn't advise using it. Where your particular Bel-Ray falls on this continuum is an open question. You can see that the Bel-Ray oils tested didn't do that well.

If you really want to know, you can send a sample of your own used oil to Blackstone Labs (google them) and find out how it does.

• Sheridan450F

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:48 PM

Gray, would you say Yamalube 10w40 is good for 10hrs? Not racing, trail riding but getting on it a bit.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:55 PM

Which specific Yamalube 10w-40?

• Sheridan450F

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Yamalube 4 stroke sae 10w-40

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:11 AM

Gray, would you say Yamalube 10w40 is good for 10hrs? Not racing, trail riding but getting on it a bit.

No, I wouldn't.

• Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:34 AM

Another oil test sponsored by Amsoil??
Where's Redline in that test?

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:56 AM

The oil test was done on products marketed as motorcycle-specific, and obviously not all such products were included. Redline does not produce a M/C specific 40wt product, so any offerings they have in that viscosity would not have been included. They do have a 20w-50 M/C oil, and perhaps you should challenge Amsoil to include that in a future revision of this test, which happens periodically. Their 40WT Race Oil (15W40) would be an interesting test subject, too, but again, it doesn't fall into the tested category, marketing-wise.

I'd actually like to see them toss in a couple of the automotive oils that are popularly used by a lot of riders in the belief that M/C specific oils aren't worthwhile, but that hasn't been the focus of the test.

• Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:10 AM

The oil test was done on products marketed as motorcycle-specific, and obviously not all such products were included. Redline does not produce a M/C specific 40wt product, so any offerings they have in that viscosity would not have been included. They do have a 20w-50 M/C oil, and perhaps you should challenge Amsoil to include that in a future revision of this test, which happens periodically. Their 40WT Race Oil (15W40) would be an interesting test subject, too, but again, it doesn't fall into the tested category, marketing-wise.

I'd actually like to see them toss in a couple of the automotive oils that are popularly used by a lot of riders in the belief that M/C specific oils aren't worthwhile, but that hasn't been the focus of the test.

Redline does offer motorcycle specific oil in a 40 wt.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:14 AM

If you read the text you quoted, you can see that I said that. According to the products they list on their web site, they make two, a 20w-50, and a 20w-60. If they have a 40wt product, link me to it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:18 AM

http://www.redlineoi...pid=109&pcid=13

Been using the 10-40 oil in all my bikes and quads.

• WB450

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:57 AM

http://www.amsoil.co...efront/mcf.aspx

I've been using this in my bikes for years.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 11:32 AM

http://www.redlineoi...pid=109&pcid=13

Been using the 10-40 oil in all my bikes and quads.

So, there it is. On that I stand corrected. Again, if you'd like it included in the next test, you should challenge Amsoil to do so. Given the performance of Maxima Ultra, and how close the top 5 or so oils in the test were, I wouldn't expect it to perform significantly better than the best PAO oils, though.

• Sheridan450F

Posted March 25, 2010 - 11:47 AM

So the yamalube im using isn't good? What do you use/ recommend as a top quality oil?

• Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 11:52 AM

So, there it is. On that I stand corrected. Again, if you'd like it included in the next test, you should challenge Amsoil to do so. Given the performance of Maxima Ultra, and how close the top 5 or so oils in the test were, I wouldn't expect it to perform significantly better than the best PAO oils, though.

I agree that the group 4 and group 5 oils are both good.
I just choose to use the one that is a group 5 oil. If I can extend or prevent a catastrophic engine failure by using a group 5 oil it's worth it to me to pay $12 quart.
Ome thing is for sure, both these oils are far superior to a pretroleum oil under extreme heat and severe engine needs. There is no way I would use a petroleum based oil in a motor that holds just over a quart even if I changed it quite oftion.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 26, 2010 - 04:32 AM

so the yamalube im using isn't good? What do you use/ recommend as a top quality oil?

amsoil 10w-40 mcf

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2010 - 08:18 AM

So the yamalube im using isn't good? What do you use/ recommend as a top quality oil?

You didn't give me any information about the oil other than it's weight grade (the picture was nice, but I'm not going to research the oil to answer the question), so my assumption is that it's a bottom of the line conventional oil about which I know nothing specific. Based on that, I can't recommend it, especially not for ten hours.

The current premium synthetic Yamalube is said to have been significantly improved, but I don't have any hard data on it.

I use Amsoil MCF (MCV is hot weather), and I change each 3 ride days at most, regardless of how little time that might be. 10 hours is the high limit.

• Sheridan450F

Posted March 26, 2010 - 10:05 AM

Im going to put 3 days of glamis riding on it with the yamalube I just put in, then after that im going to that amsoil mcf, thanks!

• WB450

Posted March 26, 2010 - 10:44 AM

Im going to put 3 days of glamis riding on it with the yamalube I just put in, then after that im going to that amsoil mcf, thanks!

Seems like a lotof hrs. on Yamalube. JMO.

Edited by WB450, March 26, 2010 - 11:35 AM.

• Sheridan450F

Posted March 26, 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yeah? Guess I'll end up changing it out there :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.