Renthal 520 chain to long..

8 replies to this topic
  • iamcanadain

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:49 PM

ok i got a 50T renthal sprocket, and 520 chain.. now its just hanging there not fully installed.

The wheel is at its MAX like no adjustment left? any one help?

oh and the wheel isn't bolt on the bike yet....

• Numba68

Posted March 24, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Remove some links out of the chain?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 24, 2010 - 01:03 PM

ok i got a 50T renthal sprocket, and 520 chain.. now its just hanging there not fully installed.

The wheel is at its MAX like no adjustment left? any one help?

oh and the wheel isn't bolt on the bike yet....

you are supposed to buy the chain long and have a chain breaker to size it according to where you like your wheel. put the adj. bolts backed out to where you want them and wrap the chain tightly around both sprockets. remove the excess chain and install master-link. Then check chain slack.

• drumurr

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:54 PM

Should start with the wheel towards the front too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Smokeslider

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:19 PM

you don't need a breaker if you have a dremel you can just grind off the rivets on the sideplate and pop it apart. Of course you'll need a masterlink to put it back together.

• socalhodaka

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:45 PM

Don't forget a chain press for an O-Ring chain.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 25, 2010 - 02:48 AM

Remove some links out of the chain?

That's too difficult. Just buy a 65T rear sprocket. Dillema solved. :thumbsup:

(sorry, i'm just being a d!ck... i know) :lol:

OK in all seriousness. ALWAYS just buy a 120L chain, push your wheel all the way foreward and cut the chain to length. You can simply grind the pins and use a small punch to remove the riveted link.

• iamcanadain

Posted March 26, 2010 - 04:49 AM

done and done

• BlackT5

Posted March 26, 2010 - 07:16 AM

Or do what I did and put the wheel all the way back and remove just enough links to achieve proper tension. Running the wheel as far back as possible puts weight on the front and helps the tucking issue. I rode back to back weekends with stock then all the way back. All the way bak was much better. I have still have plenty of room to mantain the slack.

I would love to ride the bike stock again then make all the minor tweaks I have at once to see the difference but I would imagine it would be major.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.