'98 YZ400 idle probs

3 replies to this topic
  • maxwell6996

Posted March 24, 2010 - 12:31 PM

I've read through a ton of posts & have seen most of the "typical" problems with this carb. But I haven't seen anything relating to this exactly. As far as I can tell mine doesn't suffer from any of the "normal" problems. Possibly due to the fact of having such low hours on it. (maybe 200 hours of trail use)

The problem I'm having is, it won't idle without the choke on. Even with it set to the fastest possible idle, it still dies when I release the choke. So my questions are these:

Is it ok to ride with the choke on?
Will it cause damage to something to ride with the choke on?
Can I leave the choke on & just set it to idle a bit slower?
Is there a fix? - How do I fix?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Supposed to be going to Wayne National Forest this weekend & I'm really anxious to be riding again.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Read:

http://www.thumperta...817#post9300817

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • maxwell6996

Posted April 01, 2010 - 11:11 AM

Thanks grayracer, tried everything you mentioned in that link, unfortunately nothing helped. Even took it to a Yamaha dealer & had them look at it. They didn't do any better than I did. Runs great, but still won't idle without the choke. Talked to them about trading it in but, since they only offered me $500, I'm just gonna ride it the way it is. Will wait till I go back to work & try to get my hands on a new RMX450Z. Fuel injection and electric start, best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2010 - 12:05 PM

Try one more thing: check the valve clearance.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.