stuck throttle

5 replies to this topic
  • mikeolichney

Posted December 29, 2000 - 10:13 PM

Have you guys ever had a stuck throttle on your 426? I was rejetting my 01 yesterday when mine stuck. I hit the kill switch right away, it seemed like it had stuck close to closed (wasn't revving wild). It was really stuck and I had to twist it open pretty hard to free it (hmm, maybe I won't do that if it happens again). I thought since I was rejetting, maybe the allen head screw that holds in the needle had come loose (you guys don't locktite that do you?). But when I got home, I checked the carb, and everything was fine. Now I am going to be spooked until I find out the cause. Any ideas? Anybody else seen this problem? Yikes this bike is out to get me.

• jaybird67k

Posted December 29, 2000 - 12:08 PM

Mikeolichney,
Did you check to see if you had
build up on your bars where your throttle tube rides ? Mine came from the dealer with
rusty mucas under the throttle tube, so I sanded the bars with 400 & 600 grit emery cloth until new and shiny and put a lite coat of grease on the bars and reinstalled
the throttle tube.
Later, Jason

• Taffy

Posted December 29, 2000 - 01:07 PM

are your cables frayed (sp?)

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikeolichney

Posted December 29, 2000 - 03:11 PM

The bike is brand new, less than 5 hours. I doubt it is frayed. I will check for buildup but it was a very positive lockup, not just alot of friction. The throttle is very smooth normally. Thanks for your suggestions though. I take it you have not had this happen.

• motoman393

Posted December 29, 2000 - 04:02 PM

This is probably (im 90% sure) ...one cable ush and one pulls! Whenever you twist the throttle look at it closely when you let go the cable that pulls it back has probably too much freeplay in it and it is causing it to stick! When you take the carb off sometimes the cables need to be readjusted! SO look carefully when you twist and let go to see if the cable that pulls is getiing "bowed up" and this will cause your throttle to stay at one position! This has been the case on my 2 old XR's and I had this problem once when my YZ was brand new! Hope this helps!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• oldxmxer

Posted December 31, 2000 - 04:35 PM

Mine stuck once like that when I laid it over on the throttle side. The alum hand gaurd was jambed up against the throttle tube.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.