08 WR 450 build recommendations

1 reply to this topic
  • Pluto67

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:09 AM

I have th 08 WR 450, have done all the initial modifications.
It can climb steep single tracks very well, I live in Montana.
I'm considering an exhaust change and maybe new sprocket gearing.

front or back sprocket change?? I don't know.

does an aftermarket exhaust really make much difference?
does it truly add power or is the stock unit fine?
I want to enter an enduro this summer.

I put an aftermarket pipe on my Harley SuperGlide and the performance is worse than stock. With the stock muffler the Harley has much quicker acceleration from a dead stop. the aftermarket pipes just sound cooler, it think it drops power. Of course none will admit that, or maybe they can't notice. the aftermarket slip on pipe was a waste - but it does sound cool

I don't want to do this to my WR.

Thanks for any advice,
Erik

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted March 23, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Erik,

As far as gearing goes, the rule of thumb is that 1 tooth on the front sprocket = 3 teeth on the rear.
I'd be trying a 1 tooth smaller front sprocket first if I were you since this is a cheaper option than buying a rear one.

Exhausts? Check this out before you go wasting money on an aftermarket exhaust....... (It's a lot of reading, but very informative.)
http://www.thumperta... saves big $$$$

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.