12 replies to this topic
  • ralphieboy

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:12 AM

I was wondering what u guys think the best oil is for use in canada
our temp ranges from -30c to 35c
i ride a 07 yz450f

• jrny426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:26 AM

I use a 10 30 in cooler weather spring and fall and 20 50 or 15 40 in the summer heat

• ralphieboy

Posted March 23, 2010 - 04:42 PM

cool thanx for the input
i also bought a flo oil filter wondering if anyone has any feed back?
any specific brand of oil ur using
sorry new to the four stroke world

• jrny426

Posted March 24, 2010 - 09:05 AM

Lots of threads on both just do a search Ive heard stay away from Yamalube Ive used Maxima or even Shell Rotella is an economic choice

• husqy360

Posted March 24, 2010 - 11:45 AM

i use amsoil, cheaper compare to other high end oils, and just as good.

• ralphieboy

Posted March 25, 2010 - 04:54 AM

great thanks for the input

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:02 AM

i use amsoil, cheaper compare to other high end oils, and just as good.

Totally wrong about this statement. Amsoil is a group 4 oil from what I have read. There are better oils that fall into the group 5 category. The undisputed best base stock available. Maxima ultra and Redline are two of them that use a group 5 oil.

• husqy360

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:25 AM

Totally wrong about this statement. Amsoil is a group 4 oil from what I have read. There are better oils that fall into the group 5 category. The undisputed best base stock available. Maxima ultra and Redline are two of them that use a group 5 oil.

in my dictionary amsoil mcf is high end oil for my mx bike. so its a 4.....

to ralphieboy, if you want to save 10 bucks a gallon compare to the store price, http://www.kmt1.ca/

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 08:41 AM

...Amsoil is a group 4 oil from what I have read. There are better oils that fall into the group 5 category. The undisputed best base stock available. ...

Sorry, but it's not undisputed. To begin with, Maxima is a blend of ester and PAO bases (group 4 & 5), and there are both advantages and disadvantages to esters.

Also, it's important to understand that the while the base stock does have some bearing on native viscosity index, and therefore durability under shear, simply changing the base stock will not solve the shear stability issue in and of itself.

With specific regard to Maxima Ultra, testing has shown that it does bear up well in the standard Viscosity Shear Stability (ASTM D-6278) test, but the new samples tested (Maxima Maxum 4 Ultra 5w-40 and 5w-50) were either nearly or actually below their labeled grade (the 5w-40 was barely above minimum for a 40wt, and the 5w-50 was measured at 40wt, not 50.) The oil also costs $15.49/qt, vs. a retail of $10.35 for Amsoil MCF (less as a preferred customer).

• Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:11 AM

Sorry, but it's not undisputed. To begin with, Maxima is a blend of ester and PAO bases (group 4 & 5), and there are both advantages and disadvantages to esters.

Also, it's important to understand that the while the base stock does have some bearing on native viscosity index, and therefore durability under shear, simply changing the base stock will not solve the shear stability issue in and of itself.

With specific regard to Maxima Ultra, testing has shown that it does bear up well in the standard Viscosity Shear Stability (ASTM D-6278) test, but the new samples tested (Maxima Maxum 4 Ultra 5w-40 and 5w-50) were either nearly or actually below their labeled grade (the 5w-40 was barely above minimum for a 40wt, and the 5w-50 was measured at 40wt, not 50.) The oil also costs $15.49/qt, vs. a retail of $10.35 for Amsoil MCF (less as a preferred customer).

It is undisputed that a group 4 is not as good as a group 5 bearing they have the exact additive package.
I'm not saying that Amsoil is not a good oil, but I choose to use a higher quality oil.
Not a big fan of the preferred customer thing either. Just sounds like a marketing scheme.

• WB450

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:18 AM

http://www.calsci.co...info/Oils1.html

Some people should, in my opinion, clearly use a synthetic oil. You should be using a synthetic if:

you routinely start your engine in temperatures under 40°f, 5°c.
you live somewhere where it gets below -35 degrees, and you want to start your car. In this case you must use either Mobil-1 0w-30 or the Canadian 0w-40 Rotella. If you're riding your bike in -40 degrees, I want a picture just before you die.
you leave your vehicle sit unused for months at a time.
you are unable or unwilling to change your oil within 2000 miles.
you have one of these new 4-stroke MX bikes. These MX bikes hold only about one quart of oil, all of them have marginal cooling systems, and if there's a more severe use of an engine than MX, I don't want to be physically present when it happens.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:18 AM

It is undisputed that a group 4 is not as good as a group 5 bearing they have the exact additive package.

No, it actually isn't...

Not a big fan of the preferred customer thing either. Just sounds like a marketing scheme.

Of course it is part of their marketing "scheme", but that doesn't mean it won't pencil out in my favor, and it's absolutely not difficult to manage in any way. Factoring in the fee for the privilege, and the shipping, the oil I buy over a year's time runs me around $8/qt, and they bring it to me. :thumbsup:

• Gunner354

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:26 AM

No, it actually isn't...
Of course it is part of their marketing "scheme", but that doesn't mean it won't pencil out in my favor, and it's absolutely not difficult to manage in any way. Factoring in the fee for the privilege, and the shipping, the oil I buy over a year's time runs me around $8/qt, and they bring it to me. :thumbsup:

From all the data I have tells me that a group 5 oil is better than a group 4.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.