YZ 450 for woods races

20 replies to this topic
  • kjosh1982

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:56 PM

I was wondering if any body uses a YZ450 for woods or enduro races?
I just bought an 09 and was wanting to get back into it.

Josh

• djuhnk

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:24 PM

yeah, i actually just got an 08 yzf 450 and i am currently in the process of setting the bike up for racing in Open A this year. Seems like it will be a great bike for the woods even though i have only ridden once with it this year so far on a moto track.

• Smokeslider

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:47 PM

Yes
Posted Image

Tall bars, tall seat, PMB endcap, Barkbusters, Skidplate, Scotts Stabilizer, Clarke Tank.
Pretty much ready to go.

• djuhnk

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:51 PM

that doesnt look like much of a skidplate though ^ what if a rock bounces up and hits your clutch cover or tranny hard enough??

• djuhnk

Posted March 22, 2010 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

there is my bike as it sits.. i am going to install the skid plate, mini hi bars, bark busters, and radiator gaurds this weekend.

• ubu

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:56 PM

I ride an 08 in desert harescrambles. It can be a handfull in the tighter stuff because of the weight, but I'm still a novice rider. The nice thing is that it tracks straight and has a nice power delivery. I never have to worry about hillclimbs, I think it will climb anything.:thumbsup:
BTW, my full coverage skidplate as a nice scar right in front of the water pump from bouncing off a huge rock:thumbsup:

• jrny426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:31 AM

I dont race yet but I ve been riding YZF 426 and 450s in the tight trails(following race courses) in BC and they work great,lowered the gearing 51 tooth on rear bigger fuel tank and bark busters skid plate ect...

• cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:02 AM

I dont race yet but I ve been riding YZF 426 and 450s in the tight trails(following race courses) in BC and they work great,lowered the gearing 51 tooth on rear bigger fuel tank and bark busters skid plate ect...

x2, except I'm in WA :thumbsup:

• MaddogYZ

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:09 AM

They make great XC bikes with their softer (for MX) lowend power. Even the stock suspension has good enough initial plushness for offroad if you're a fast guy. Super durable engine and crisp stock jetting all make it transfer to the woods easily.

• WB450

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:19 AM

I love mine for the woods. IMS 3.1, heavy FW, Devol skid plate, Cycra hand guards, 51 tooth rear, Zip Ty rad guards and now a Rekluse z-start pro.

Edited by WB450, March 23, 2010 - 12:20 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djuhnk

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:21 AM

I love mine for the woods. IMS 3.1, heavy FW, Devol skid plate, Cycra hand guards, 51 tooth rear, and now a Rekluse z-start pro.

do you find that the heavy flywheel reduces the snappiness of the low end power at all?

• WB450

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:25 AM

do you find that the heavy flywheel reduces the snappiness of the low end power at all?

Not at all, it makes it more usable. It really helped the stalling in tight conditions.

• SparksXR426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 11:29 AM

Flywheel weight is a must-have. A good skidplate and rad guards, hand guards and maybe a poly chainguide and gear it to suit. I plan on racing mine this year too and Im looking forward to it. I havent ridden mine since I had the suspension revalved so Im chomping at the bit now. They make a far better woods bike than they have any right to be, not so sure about the 2010s though,we'll have to see. I should get a chance to ride a 450 with a Rekluse this weekend so that might suddenly make it to my wish list.:thumbsup:

• djuhnk

Posted March 23, 2010 - 12:17 PM

Flywheel weight is a must-have. A good skidplate and rad guards, hand guards and maybe a poly chainguide and gear it to suit. I plan on racing mine this year too and Im looking forward to it. I havent ridden mine since I had the suspension revalved so Im chomping at the bit now. They make a far better woods bike than they have any right to be, not so sure about the 2010s though,we'll have to see. I should get a chance to ride a 450 with a Rekluse this weekend so that might suddenly make it to my wish list.:lol:

i have heard alot about skid plates rattling a ton on 450's.. makes me pretty skeptical even though i already ordered a moose racing skid plate... :thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 12:42 PM

i have heard alot about skid plates rattling a ton on 450's.. makes me pretty skeptical even though i already ordered a moose racing skid plate... :thumbsup:

They just tend to make the engine noise much more pronounced. I have foam under mine and its still quite noisy compared to a bike w/o an aluminum skidder.

• kjosh1982

Posted March 23, 2010 - 01:03 PM

I was just asking because i bought an 09 YZ450 F I have Bark Busters and I am waiting for my Z Pro Start (i was told it will be in in the morning, my bike showed up and is being put together at this very moment so pics should be up tomorrow night)

I am looking for a Skid plate, and i was thinking about adding the tubeless tires just to try them and there only 100 ea

• djuhnk

Posted March 23, 2010 - 02:46 PM

They just tend to make the engine noise much more pronounced. I have foam under mine and its still quite noisy compared to a bike w/o an aluminum skidder.

i had one on my yz 125 and it only made a little bit of vibration as far as i could tell, which was easily bareable.. i just hope im not going to want to rip this skidplate off.. theres always disadvantages with protection it seems :thumbsup:

• SparksXR426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 03:18 PM

The first time I pulled up next to a YZ450 I told the guy it sounded like something was wrong with his motor. You get used to it.

• kjosh1982

Posted March 23, 2010 - 06:24 PM

sounds about right

Edited by kjosh1982, March 28, 2010 - 12:18 PM.

• sacfelix

Posted March 24, 2010 - 11:12 PM

i had one on my yz 125 and it only made a little bit of vibration as far as i could tell, which was easily bareable.. i just hope im not going to want to rip this skidplate off.. theres always disadvantages with protection it seems :thumbsup:

I sprayed the inside of my skid plate with that rubberized under carriage coating and it helped alot with the noise.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.