Anyone else think the Wr450 is slow

23 replies to this topic
  • Youser

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:43 PM

I bought a new 2009 wr450 a month ago and I rode it for the first time after putting on a new ryco dual sport lighting kit, seal savers, hand guards and an O'neal bag. I've decided to break it in before attempting the carb/grey wire mods. I can't believe how slow this bike is. My ttr-250 is faster, what a joke. I hope the other mods fix the situation.:thumbsup: Anybody comment how the bike is different after the mods are done.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Well yeah removing the stock throttle stop and installing a YZ unit alone will make it faster :thumbsup: With the WR stop its limited to half throttle.

YZ throttle stop, jetting, opened airbox, and uncorked exhaust make it run like it should. You will not be disappointed especially comming off of a TT-R 250.

TT-R 250= 1987 L98 corvette
WR 450f= 2010 Corvette ZR-1

The difference is that drastic.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted March 22, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Well yeah removing the stock throttle stop and installing a YZ unit alone will make it faster :thumbsup: With the WR stop its limited to half throttle.

YZ throttle stop, jetting, opened airbox, and uncorked exhaust make it run like it should. You will not be disappointed especially comming off of a TT-R 250.

TT-R 250= 1987 L98 corvette
WR 450f= 2010 Corvette ZR-1

The difference is that drastic.

yep, what he said.

And a corked up factory WR450 before mods is a 1979 corvette with all the smog equipment. do the mods and let that thing breath!

• djv5

Posted March 23, 2010 - 05:07 AM

My uncorked 2007 WR450 with stock exhaust & JD jet kit made 44hp on the dyno.

I have straight-line raced CRF450's, CRF450x's, KTM450EXC, & KX450's, they are all close, but it comes down to gearing and riding ability.

I am in the Grand Haven, MI area if you need help.

• Pluto67

Posted March 23, 2010 - 06:56 AM

I have an 08 WR450F. I thought it was real lame at first also.
Then I did the mods. cut the grey wire, opened the airbox, and put in a YZ throttle stop (little bit tricky reaching up to get at that), make sure to pull that 'pea-shooter' out of the exhaust as well.
Made a HUGE difference. It can now climb any single track that I've got the guts to take it up. The low-end power is awesome.
Do the simple mods and you'll have a different bike.
Off the floor it's shackled and bound, set that baby free and it'll be way more than you need.

Erik

• panaman

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:14 AM

My 2009 WR450 completely stock and brand new... with quater turn throttle would smoke my DRZ400 modded with full yosh system and also smoke my XR400.. my drz would smoke the xr400......

Hell the wr450 even with only a quarter turn throttle would easily lift the front wheel off the ground without trying...... Maybe you bought a lemon

• redswr

Posted March 23, 2010 - 12:55 PM

i almost took my 07 back to the dealer after my first ride on it... just do the free mods and you'll be in love with the bike!

• MrTVDNR

Posted March 23, 2010 - 01:09 PM

Youser,

How did you find the Ryco kit?
I put that on my 09 WR450 also. Sure is slick. I didn't find a place for the horn yet, but thought of putting in on where I took the AIS off. Just using one of the bolts to hold it on and extend the wiring. Everything worked out great and I'd recommend it any day. I also added the right hand on/off with start from Ryco too...nice addition to the kit to make it whole.

Like what was said already, do the free mods and you will really like the change. I did the AIS removal and installed the new needle, YZ stop and jets. The instructions come with the additions of removing the pea shooter and disconnecting the grey wire. Nice to have it all in one place after I had already printed out a ream of paper off of the WR450 threads....ha ha ha.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 23, 2010 - 01:46 PM

Here is an effective comparison to how Yamaha sends the WR450 to its dealers:

Take a pair of channel locks and squish the end of your tail pipe on your car until the opening is about one third the original size. Now, open the hood and do the same to the air intake with duct tape. If you have an older car, advance or retard the timing as desired, doesn't matter what you set it to, just make sure it's way different than the way it was when you started. Hop in your car and start it up. Sounds nice doesn't it? When you get ready to jump on the on ramp to the freeway, slip a 4"x4" block of wood under the gas pedal and then try and get up to normal freeway speed. Fun isn't it? :thumbsup:

That is how the WR comes stock, only it's a little worse than that. Why Yamaha goes to such extremes is anyone's guess, but once you do the necessary mods, you are on the same playing field with any other 450 out there. XR650R's used to come the same way and you don't hear anyone complaining about their power because no one ever road them that way.

You're gonna love this bike!

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted March 23, 2010 - 01:50 PM

Here is an effective comparison to how Yamaha sends the WR450 to its dealers:

Take a pair of channel locks and squish the end of your tail pipe on your car until the opening is about one third the original size. Now, open the hood and do the same to the air intake with duct tape. If you have an older car, advance or retard the timing as desired, doesn't matter what you set it to, just make sure it's way different than the way it was when you started. Hop in your car and start it up. Sounds nice doesn't it? When you get ready to jump on the on ramp to the freeway, slip a 4"x4" block of wood under the gas pedal and then try and get up to normal freeway speed. Fun isn't it? :lol:

:cheers::lol:

That MADE my day :applause: :) :thumbsup: :jawdrop:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted March 23, 2010 - 03:00 PM

When you get ready to jump on the on ramp to the freeway, slip a 4"x4" block of wood under the gas pedal and then try and get up to normal freeway speed. Fun isn't it? :lol:

:)

I didn't know there were cars that could accomodate a 4X4 block of wood under the gas pedal :thumbsup:

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted March 23, 2010 - 05:31 PM

Just curious, is this a phenomenon exclusive to the blue bikes or does honda and suzuki and the others choke them down at the factory and expect the owners to do all the free mods too?

Never owned a new bike of any other brand than yamaha so I wouldn't know how they come from the dealer.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 23, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Just curious, is this a phenomenon exclusive to the blue bikes or does honda and suzuki and the others choke them down at the factory and expect the owners to do all the free mods too?

Never owned a new bike of any other brand than yamaha so I wouldn't know how they come from the dealer.

They are all sold in various forms of disfuction, but Yamaha adds the throttle stop. Honestly, when they limit the bike to half throttle, I'm not sure why any of the other performance chokers are even necessary. Seems like they could open up the intake and exhaust (and jetting) and just do the throttle stop by itself and have no problem passing sound/emissions.

Edited by OUTERLIMITS, March 24, 2010 - 07:52 AM.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:44 PM

They are all sold in various forms of disfuction, but Yamaha adds the throttle stop. Honestly, when they limit the bike to half throttle, I'm not sure why any of the other performance chockers are even necessary. Seems like they could open up the intake and exhaust (and jetting) and just do the throttle stop by itself and have no problem passing sound/emissions.

Yeah yamaha is the only one that goes to such extremes. You could actually ride a Honda 450x, Kawi KLX 450R, and Zuk RMZ450x the way it comes off of the showroom floor. The Honda and Kawi have air injection while the Suzuki is fuel injected to meet emissions standards (Fed EPA and CARB). Also the airboxes on all 4 of the japanese 450s are choked up to the max and the exhausts are all too restrictive. So although red, green, and yellow are rideable off the showroom floor, they require huge tweaks to get them to run correctly.

The Japanese mfgs are mentally challenged or something because there is no reason to choke these things up that bad when they all pass the emissions requirements way below the limit (I've seen the numbers). The yamaha in particular is so choked up if they would hook up some evap equipement to a stock WR, they probably could get that thing certified to be street legal.

Everyone else has it right. Husky, KTM, Husaberg, beta, gas gas, etc can all deliver a 450 class enduro that pretty much rips right out of the crate or with minimal tweaking. How fast do you want to spend :thumbsup:

• TLRam1

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:28 PM

I have a friend with an 05 that once we are in the rpm's he will run off and leave my 04, both uncorked. I actually have a larger main than him at 170.

• Youser

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:47 PM

I bought my ryco kit at Rockymountainatv.com The horn that comes with the kit attaches to the side of the headlight just behind the plastic.

• Youser

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:50 PM

Can't wait to do the mods to see the difference. Would anyone recommed breaking in the bike for several rides before doing the free mods/rejetting/Ais/Greywire/Peashooter. I don't want to damage the motor.

• tribalbc

Posted March 24, 2010 - 05:40 PM

Actually the opposite. I wouldn't recomend breaking in the bike without the free mods especially the throttle stop. You want to break the motor in with short bursts of full throttle to properly seat the rings. The one thing you don't want to do on break in is riding any distance with a steady throttle. Lot's of aceleration and deceleration.
Change your oil after the first 1-2 hours as well.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Can't wait to do the mods to see the difference. Would anyone recommed breaking in the bike for several rides before doing the free mods/rejetting/Ais/Greywire/Peashooter. I don't want to damage the motor.

On my last two bikes I did the jetting and intake mods to them before ever riding them. You won't hurt anything. But.......doing the mods sure is a lot better starting on an absolutely clean bike that it is with a dirty one as far as working on the carburetor goes.

• phynx

Posted March 30, 2010 - 09:39 AM

I way 200lbs, and the power of a wr450 is over whelming.. It's a great bike.. I have a DRZsm and I have had to do mods to keep me happy to keep it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.