Buying Used 07 WR450F--Air FilterHole Issue

5 replies to this topic
  • HUSKYHO

Posted March 22, 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hey Guys!

Am looking for a low time 07 WR450f and just read the TT ALERT thread about the filter cage hole that could allow dirt / sand into engine if not fixed

This was a problem back in [early?] 07 and was addressed in a SB by Yamaha

Seemed somewhat random and not exactly VIN / DOM specific

Now if I'm looking to buy a particular 07 that still doesn't have the fix, I would eliminate buying that bike, right? That's easy.

But I might see that it does not have the problem filter cage [ or has been fixed ] but still not know when fix was made ...[ at 0 hours.....10 hours.....20hrs... after riding in sand..?????.] Sure the owner might tell me it was fixed before ever riding it....and depending on my instincts, I might trust seller.....

What to do?

Should I simply be avoiding 07s altogether?

I Don't want a bike that sucked sand for the first critical hours of its life!!

Doesn't have to be an 07, [ and maybe it SHOULDN'T be an 07!! ], that is the most common available model year with the new alum frame

There are plenty of new 08s & 09s around pretty cheap as well.

SO! whaddayou guys think?

Appreciate any and all feedback on this issue!

ho

• JM450

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:53 AM

This issue is exactly why I bought an 08. I figured the money I saved on a used 07 could be gobbled up on a top end. Plus I was able to find a good deal on a new 08.

• projected

Posted March 22, 2010 - 04:37 PM

My 07 that I recently bought with 10 hours did not have the suspect filter cage, there was no hole, and I'm sure that the original owner did not replace it so I'm not worried.

Why not look at the bike, check the cage, and ask the owner too? Make a decision after that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HUSKYHO

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:55 PM

Good ideas!

Thanks!

I guess after I ask seller about the hole I should ask him if he's a member of TT...

That should give me a big clue, eh! :thumbsup:

ho

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hey Guys!

Am looking for a low time 07 WR450f and just read the TT ALERT thread about the filter cage hole that could allow dirt / sand into engine if not fixed

This was a problem back in [early?] 07 and was addressed in a SB by Yamaha

Seemed somewhat random and not exactly VIN / DOM specific

Now if I'm looking to buy a particular 07 that still doesn't have the fix, I would eliminate buying that bike, right? That's easy.

But I might see that it does not have the problem filter cage [ or has been fixed ] but still not know when fix was made ...[ at 0 hours.....10 hours.....20hrs... after riding in sand..?????.] Sure the owner might tell me it was fixed before ever riding it....and depending on my instincts, I might trust seller.....

What to do?

Should I simply be avoiding 07s altogether?

I Don't want a bike that sucked sand for the first critical hours of its life!!

Doesn't have to be an 07, [ and maybe it SHOULDN'T be an 07!! ], that is the most common available model year with the new alum frame

There are plenty of new 08s & 09s around pretty cheap as well.

SO! whaddayou guys think?

Appreciate any and all feedback on this issue!

ho

Yeah I could see this being a crappy situation. Owner gets the legit cage after X amount of hours of running the defective one causing unknown damage to the motor. Honestly, if the owner has a detailed log of valve clearance measurements/adjustments (from new) and they haven't moved much (or at all) plus it specs out ok on a leak down test and doesn't make any funny noises in the bottom end I'd consider the engine solid.

If it worries you that much avoid the '07's all together. Infact if I was buying used I would.

I got lucky with mine. I bought it new in 7/07 fresh out of the crate (it was being put together as I was signing papers) and it didn't have the hole. There were reports of '07's with defective airfilter cages being sold new well into october. I guess they were early build bikes that sat on the floor all season long...

• HUSKYHO

Posted March 25, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Been researching this hole in filter cage issue.

It's funny, of all the threads I read on this, [ and their are many ] and all the serious concern expressed, not once have I read any conclusion to the problem!

The threads just end in mid air, and fade away with no resolution !!!

Did anyone actually go inside their motor and find material damage ?

Did Yamaha cover or even perform an inspection after issuing the alleged SB on it?

Did folks who unknowingly rode with dirt and sand being sucked into their motor for x amount of hours, then fix problem, go on to ride many happy hours with no further angst?

It's hard to imagine damage not occurring!!

AM I making more of it than necessary...?

Was everyone's concern unfounded?

You'd think if engines were torn into that their would be postings...

Maybe someone can chime in here with further insight, but it seems the issue has faded away into oblivion....

There really hasnt been much response to this thread....

It still concerns me tho, i.e. I am looking mostly for an 08 or possibly an 07 I feel real comfortable with and trusting of the original owner.....scary thought!!!!

ho

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.