2010 Sag

4 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:34 AM

Well I played with my suspension setting this past weekend and found that 110mm to 114mm of race sag worked very well but I did notice that in the air the front end is alittle high. If I were to speed up the rebound in the rear would this help the front to dive alittle? I am going to try it tomorrow but I am interested in what people have to say. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2010 - 09:02 AM

One of the effects of the increased centralization of mass in the 2010 is that the bike rotates on its pitch axis (as well as all other axes) more freely. This means that the bike will raise the front as you power of a jump lip more readily, and should also respond more readily to a brake tap or throttle chop to drop the front. It's just going to respond more to that sort of input. Adjust your technique accordingly.

I don't know about the '10, but the KYB shock on YZ450's have long been way too loose in their initial rebound response, and beefing up the base of the rebound stack in the shock makes a remarkable improvement in models running from at least '03 -'09. Loosening the rebound to encourage the tail to kick more so that the bike jumps with the front end lower would probably be a mistake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper38

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Grayracer, I will try some things tomorrow, I love the bike thus far, it just seemed odd that 110 to 115mm sag worked very well!

• YamaLink

Posted March 22, 2010 - 02:17 PM

Finding that sweet spot for personal bike setup is key. I asked several 2010 yz450f privateer mx racers what their rear sag setting was and each was around the 100mm mark. I asked if that's what they ran their 09 at and each said "yes" and the fork height was kept stock or up in the clamps about 1 or 2mm.

• honda907

Posted March 22, 2010 - 02:42 PM

One of the effects of the increased centralization of mass in the 2010 is that the bike rotates on its pitch axis (as well as all other axes) more freely. This means that the bike will raise the front as you power of a jump lip more readily, and should also respond more readily to a brake tap or throttle chop to drop the front. It's just going to respond more to that sort of input. Adjust your technique accordingly.

I don't know about the '10, but the KYB shock on YZ450's have long been way too loose in their initial rebound response, and beefing up the base of the rebound stack in the shock makes a remarkable improvement in models running from at least '03 -'09. Loosening the rebound to encourage the tail to kick more so that the bike jumps with the front end lower would probably be a mistake.

I raced mine for the first time yesterday. Maybe that's why it wanted to wheelie of the start. Big whelie! Like the kind that you have to shut off and grab the clutch type wheelie! The week before I kept practicing starts and had wheelie problems also. I figured the clutch was just grabby or something this year. I know I was about sitting on the tank gas cap. Then when I read your post here, it makes perfect sense. While I was comming through the pack, I had some big wheelies too! I was riding it harder to win. Much harder than when I practiced. After I got in the lead it was all good, but man , looking back on it, the mass centrilazation makes sense to me. Bet this bike is bitchin on a concrete gate!

That first race reminded me of my first race on a CRF 450(06, hence Honda907) after being a 2 smoke holdout for a long time. I remember about looping the bike out several times while in the lead. I had to adjust my riding. No more gun and run like a 2 smoke. Thanks grayracer. You opened my eyes. Not too many people can do that to an old fart! Iv'e been around this since the 70's! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.