07' YZ450F stalls with choke off.

7 replies to this topic
  • Timberwolf056

Posted March 21, 2010 - 02:19 PM

I put it away last fall ran good then. I got it out the other day. Seems the gas went bad smelled alittle old,guess my gas stabilizer dont work pffft. So I drained the tank and float bowl. Put fresh 93 octane fuel in, kicked it a few times and it started. I noticed right away it was running poorly. It will run with the choke full on but if you touch the throttle at all it bogs out and dies. Cleaned air filter and changed the plug still same thing. The wierd part is if you shake the bike the idle will pick up slightly and you can go to about 1/2 choke. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks guys.

• dvn

Posted March 21, 2010 - 03:11 PM

Your pilot jet is gummed up. Happens all the time with old fuel. Pull the jets and clean them.

• Timberwolf056

Posted March 31, 2010 - 04:51 AM

Took carb off at my shop cleaned, there was some gum in there. Put back on now it will run with the choke on,but if you close the choke it bogs,coughs spits and sputters. I am thinking mabye a accelerator pump issue?? Or possibly still some gum hiding somewhere.

• WB450

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:43 AM

I would say pull it and do it all again, take your time and clean it thoroughly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gunner354

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:52 AM

Your pilot jet and/or pilot ciruit are plugged. Make sure you remove the pilot jet and clean and then blow air through and you get air out of the hole in carb body. Just helped a friend do this last night.

• Timberwolf056

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:22 PM

Ok re-cleaned the whole carb again, finally got it to run choke off. It has a slight bog off idle but if you roll the throttle slow it will respond very quickly. Pulls hard the whole way through the gears although it is backfiring alittle bit on decel. In my oppinion I feel its running rich on low end and leaning way out mid to upper range. Think I may have to play with the jets. any jet combo sugestions?

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Excessive decel backfire, if not caused by an exhaust leak, normally indicates a lean idle circuit.

See the user jetting sticky at the top of the index page for suggestions.

• Polar_Bus

Posted April 01, 2010 - 02:56 AM

I put it away last fall ran good then. I got it out the other day. Seems the gas went bad smelled alittle old,guess my gas stabilizer dont work pffft. So I drained the tank and float bowl. Put fresh 93 octane fuel in, kicked it a few times and it started. I noticed right away it was running poorly. It will run with the choke full on but if you touch the throttle at all it bogs out and dies. Cleaned air filter and changed the plug still same thing. The wierd part is if you shake the bike the idle will pick up slightly and you can go to about 1/2 choke. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks guys.

Read this.

http://www.thumperta...hlight=startron

If I can't get my YZF out on the ice during winter it can sit for upwards of 4 months unused. Since I've been using Startron, my carbs stay perfectly clean, and fuel stays fresh.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.