bike surging

11 replies to this topic
  • Dick Falcon

Posted March 21, 2010 - 08:02 AM

ok guys my bike is surging at steady throttle any idea what this could be??my jetting is 48p 162m stock needle in the 4th.65deg at sea level.oh 2 turns on air screw.bike starts great and runs ok could be a lille btter maybe.thanks.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 21, 2010 - 08:31 AM

ok guys my bike is surging at steady throttle any idea what this could be??my jetting is 48p 162m stock needle in the 4th.65deg at sea level.oh 2 turns on air screw.bike starts great and runs ok could be a lille btter maybe.thanks.

surging is a tell tale sign of a lean fuel condition. I'm thinking some debris in the carb restricting fuel flow, what throttle position was the surging occuring ?

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2010 - 09:14 AM

Check the TPS adjustment per the manual, or try unplugging it. It would also be nice if you'd tell us the year/model of the bike, since it's hard to see it from here.

• Dick Falcon

Posted March 21, 2010 - 10:10 AM

its an 09 it has about 8 hours on it thanks.

• Dick Falcon

Posted March 21, 2010 - 11:18 AM

HOLY CRAP!!unhooked the tps bikes is perfect now,its running way stronger now too!please tell me its ok to leave this unhooked?thanks jon

• tek_01

Posted March 21, 2010 - 12:35 PM

Yes its ok to leave unhooked
if you do a search, this has come up quite alot in the past week or 2 (me included)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:21 AM

Maybe these malfunctioning TPS's are bad ground/ bad plug connection related ? Maybe try cleaning all the chassis grounds and reconnect the TPS ? I am a firm believer in using di-electric silicone grease packed in all my male/female electrical connectors.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:48 AM

The TPS is a potentiometer. As such, the most likely place for a contact fault to exist is within the TPS itself. The entire remainder of the CDI igntion system depends on the same chassis grounds as the TPS (which is not directly grounded, anyway). The contacts at the TPS connector could be involved, of course, but by and large, I think you'll find the TPS is the culprit in most cases involving its operation.

If you examine the schematic for a later system (say an '06), you'll notice that the only chassis grounds are at the stator, the kill switch, and the spark plug.

• tek_01

Posted March 22, 2010 - 01:55 PM

Is its common for an actual tps to go bad? If so, are they available to buy separately?

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2010 - 01:58 PM

Not common, but it happens. Yes, they're available separately.

• ubu

Posted March 22, 2010 - 03:38 PM

I was bullheaded and ignored the advice of unplugging TPS. I just finished off a weeks worth of jetting changes and carb cleaning to fight my surging problem. Even checked the valves since I had half the bike apart to get the carb off. Changed all jets back to stock and put a new fuel screw in. Cleaned and put dialetric grease on the TPS connector. Rode yesterday and it was still running like crap. Finnally took the 3 mins to unplug the TPS yesterday and the bike ran perfect. More steady than ever:bonk:

• tek_01

Posted March 22, 2010 - 03:42 PM

47 THROTTLE SENSOR ASSY
5TA-85885-00-00 1 $248.32

i think ill just unplug it if i suspect mine is faulty lol

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.