Class-C RV mpg

15 replies to this topic
  • davethegoat

Posted March 21, 2010 - 02:14 AM

Planning a get away soon.:lol: Looking to purchase a used RV. Need to know what kind of mpg I can expect to get out of a 22-28 foot C-class(van) RV. Engine size will most likely be a 350-400ci. I'm seeing a lot of Ford E-chassis for sale so that might be my choice. Any one have real world mpg for this kind of RV? Also any thing I should know before purchasing a used one. What to look out for, etc.:thumbsup:

• redhurricane

Posted March 21, 2010 - 07:21 AM

Older Class C motorhomes are a money pit, and with a big block gasser you'll get 6-10 mpg depending on what you're hauling with it. If you go with a Ford that has the V-10 beware as they used to spit plugs frequently.

• Flyin-A

Posted March 21, 2010 - 10:59 AM

Planning a get away soon.:lol: Looking to purchase a used RV. Need to know what kind of mpg I can expect to get out of a 22-28 foot C-class(van) RV. Engine size will most likely be a 350-400ci. I'm seeing a lot of Ford E-chassis for sale so that might be my choice. Any one have real world mpg for this kind of RV? Also any thing I should know before purchasing a used one. What to look out for, etc.:thumbsup:

If you have to ask,its not for you. Happy when I get 8-9 out of our '93 boxvan with a 7.4l(460ci). It does almost have 150k on the clock and is paid for but always sucks at the gas pump. Its like a mobile condo and very comfortable both to travel in and at the track. I really like that everything is inside and secure.

• rkwfxd1

Posted March 21, 2010 - 01:50 PM

I have a 2000 Ford E350 24' Class C with the V-10. Best MPG was 11 with no trailer. Most trips are pretty consistent at 8MPG at 65 MPH pulling a 6X10 open trailer with four bikes in it and then running the generator off of the RV tank for a couple hours everyday.

• average joe

Posted March 21, 2010 - 04:26 PM

2005 31' Class C with the V10... 8 with the 14' enclosed trailer and keeping it at 65...

• mauricedorris

Posted March 21, 2010 - 09:56 PM

I have an 89 Class C with a 460. It has about 70K on it and runs just great. I get about 7mpg on a good day, but normally around 6.5mpg towing or not.

Don't believe anyone that tells you that they aren't reliable. Mine sure is and so are the others that I personally know of. The thing is... you can get them dirt cheap. The money you save will go towards the 1 or 2mpg that you'll get out of the ones that cost three times as much.

Its a different way to go. The v10's are better, but not that much better.

• Flyin-A

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:35 AM

I have an 89 Class C with a 460. It has about 70K on it and runs just great. I get about 7mpg on a good day, but normally around 6.5mpg towing or not.

Don't believe anyone that tells you that they aren't reliable. Mine sure is and so are the others that I personally know of. The thing is... you can get them dirt cheap. The money you save will go towards the 1 or 2mpg that you'll get out of the ones that cost three times as much.

Its a different way to go. The v10's are better, but not that much better.

Agreed:thumbsup:

Mine runs perfect at almost 150k on it.
:thumbsup:

• Kyron

Posted March 22, 2010 - 02:34 PM

I have a suburban with the 8.1 and I get 10 empty and 6-7 pulling my 25' toyhauler.

There is no free lunch

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:45 PM

NOt to be a Debbie Downer, but if you're looking at mid 20 ft models with 5.7L GM's and 5.8 or 5.4L Ford's, just forget it.

You won't get any better fuel mileage, they don't have the "grunt" for the job, and you won't be happy.

I test drove two units this fall, very similar in size and optinons and weight, one with a 5.8L and the other with V10.....the 5.8 left me feeling like I was driving a geo metro with a parachute attached to the bumper.....the thing could not even get out of it's own dust cloud. Pitiful, and this was on flat land, no trailer.

Go for a big block, you'll get the same mileage (upper single digits), get better acceleration, better pulling, the engine will work less, and better engine lifespan.

Think of it like this....if engine A is 200 hp, and it's using 180 hp to constantly get the job done, it's not going to last all that long.

In comparison, Engine B is 300 hp, and it's using 180 hp to do the same job, it's going to last longer, and it very well may get better fuel mileage if you can keep your foot off the loud pedal.

If your bankroll can swing it, step up a few years and get a V10 over a 460...much better engine, stronger, more power, and better fuel economy in the same chassis.

Yes, they do have spark plug issues, but only after some ham fisted numbskull changes the plugs and uses the torque specs for the lug nuts to reinstall the plugs.

• redhurricane

Posted March 23, 2010 - 05:20 AM

Yes, they do have spark plug issues, but only after some ham fisted numbskull changes the plugs and uses the torque specs for the lug nuts to reinstall the plugs.

You mean 80ft/lbs is too much for spark plugs in alum heads???? :thumbsup:

• Chickenhauler

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:27 PM

You mean 80ft/lbs is too much for spark plugs in alum heads???? :lol:

Maybe just one or two too many.....:thumbsup:

• 01erionracing

Posted April 07, 2010 - 11:12 PM

Mine is 2001 E450 26' get 8-10 mpg wihout trailer and 6-8mpg with 18' enclosed trailer in the back.

• wascal

Posted April 08, 2010 - 08:56 AM

2005 31' Winnie V10 C class. I can confirm the 8 mpg towing a 6x12 trailer.

• KTM Rookie

Posted April 08, 2010 - 09:28 AM

Ford changed their cylinder heads around 2001 to incorporate longer spark plug threads.
For a class C I will also recommend a V10 and keeping it under 65mph you can get up to 11 mpg (as reported by my friend in his 2007 24 foot towing a single axle 6X12 enclosed).

• notime

Posted April 09, 2010 - 03:17 PM

2006 e-450 v-10 31': downhill/uphill, headwind/tailwind babying it... 7-8mpg. Checked and rechecked.

• rezrider

Posted April 10, 2010 - 10:31 AM

If you have to ask,its not for you. Happy when I get 8-9 out of our '93 boxvan with a 7.4l(460ci). It does almost have 150k on the clock and is paid for but always sucks at the gas pump. Its like a mobile condo and very comfortable both to travel in and at the track. I really like that everything is inside and secure.

I agree...when I was selling cars/trucks and had a customer on a Hummer (H2), some would ask "what kind of mpg does this get"? I'd actually tell them if you have to ask it's not for you. Then they'de look at me with a "really, is it that bad"? Then I point out the aero-dynamics of the BEAST (as air resistant as a barn door) then they'd understand and most would buy it anyways.

If I were to do it again I'd go with a motorhome of some kind...if you're not riding but still want to camp you don't have to hook up the trailer.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.