my tank heat shield ''Pics''

11 replies to this topic
  • hillscues

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:16 PM

Well its nothing special but still worth sharing. I got this heat shield tape at Auto Zone its around 30.00 bucks . I cleaned the bottom of the tank with brake clean , and coved it compleaty suprisingly it still fit.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• tek_01

Posted March 20, 2010 - 10:31 PM

Can i ask what the purpose of covering the bottom of the tank is? Not being smart, just asking

• hillscues

Posted March 20, 2010 - 10:55 PM

The gas gets so hot it boils not good , i don't think it boils in the tank but it gets hot enough to now boil in the carb. this will help , the stuff i used is rated for 2000 degrees. as you can see I'm running VP fuel it makes the bike run a bit hotter.

• aedwards07

Posted March 21, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Wow thats a old yosh pipe isnt it?What all did you have to do to make that guy fit?

• BBrown626

Posted March 21, 2010 - 08:24 AM

The gas gets so hot it boils not good , i don't think it boils in the tank but it gets hot enough to now boil in the carb. this will help , the stuff i used is rated for 2000 degrees. as you can see I'm running VP fuel it makes the bike run a bit hotter.

shouldn't higher octane fuel make it run cooler?

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2010 - 09:10 AM

shouldn't higher octane fuel make it run cooler?

No. Octane has nothing to do with combustion heat in any way.

http://www.thumperta...893#post2827893

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillscues

Posted March 21, 2010 - 01:17 PM

Wow thats a old yosh pipe isnt it?What all did you have to do to make that guy fit?

Yes its old school , my buddy worked for Moto XXX years back and had a box of these left over and gave me a couple of them. so getting it to fit was fun , I got a mid pipe off ebay for 20 bucks but it was for an '06 , it was titanium though. I brought it to a custom pipe shop he flared the front to fit and we made an over under piece to fit in the silencer , also there was no mounting strap, so i made one using a serpentine belt check out the custom mount on top I built. please dont tell me the strap wont hold because i ran a whole season on it , and it still shows no sign of stress. I have included some pic's so check it out thanks!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• JandJ07

Posted March 21, 2010 - 01:42 PM

What type of clamp is that holding the serpentine tight? It looks pretty sweet I think.

• buzzgrizz

Posted March 21, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Did the same thing to my 426 tank.

• tek_01

Posted March 21, 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thats the exact same exhaust my brother demolished when he looped out a month ago... dont have any spares lying around do you? =P

• DeeCee

Posted March 22, 2010 - 12:33 AM

I did the same when I fitted a larger Clarke tank to my YZ400F. As the tank wraps over the engine at the sides I was concerned that the fuel would get heated up.

As I ride in a hot desert environment, the ambient temperature is high enough without adding engine heat to the fuel as well. The heat tape has hopefully, reduced any heat transfer to the fuel and after 12+ months of riding I am pleased to say no issues with the fuel getting too hot.

• yz007f

Posted March 22, 2010 - 04:28 AM

This is what I did to keep the heat away from my carb. I made this heat shield I think it turned out pretty good!

Posted Image

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.