08' 450f bogg problem

9 replies to this topic
  • awthacker

Posted March 20, 2010 - 02:29 PM

Ok, here's the deal. I've been working on my buddies bike and I went to put some gas in it and it leaked all over the floor. So I went and adjusted the float bowl a bit so it wouldn't leak. Then I went ahead and stared kicking it over a few times and finally after about 2 min it started but sounded horrible. I had to keep giving it gas and it wouldn't idle and it sounds like a valve might have been stuck. So I took the valve cover off and cranked it over a few times to make sure, and it seemed like they were fine. especially since it's on 08. So my guess now is that it's that something is wrong in the throttle body or the choke is stuck but it didn't seem like it to me. Has anyone else had this problem with the 08's. It sounded pretty bad and not like a throttle body problem, but I might be wrong.

• BubZ

Posted March 20, 2010 - 03:09 PM

I'm no expert like some here, but I wouldn't think a valve because that would either bend the valve from piston contact or screw the cam from the valve not moving. I also think a valve wouldn't cause gas to flow from the carb. So, it seems that the problem is still carb related.

I hope someone else will come in with some insight but I'm thinking the carb has a stuck float or perhaps the pilot jet has come loose.

BubZ

• tek_01

Posted March 20, 2010 - 10:35 PM

You adjusted the float bowl? what did you actually do, adjust the float height? if so did you just have a guess or followed the spec in the manual?

You could have adjusted it too low...just a guess anyhow

• awthacker

Posted March 20, 2010 - 11:29 PM

I'll take a look at it tomorrow, i guessed a bit , but I might have bent it too far down:bonk: I hope that fixes it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2010 - 09:02 AM

The float level adjustment was probably never the cause of the fuel overflow. Float level isn't something that changes significantly over time. The cause was much more likely either a dried out or dirty needle/seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • iamcanadain

Posted March 21, 2010 - 11:28 PM

Tokyo mods....they did my crab with the r&d power bowl....no bog......same as the dolts that have fuel injection, snappy

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:23 AM

The float level adjustment was probably never the cause of the fuel overflow. Float level isn't something that changes significantly over time. The cause was much more likely either a dried out or dirty needle/seat.

I have had this to happen to me on a DRZ 125 a year ago. Just as gray said. The rubber o-ring that was under the needle had dry rotted and cracked and caused the carb to just fill with gas. replaced the ring and it was fine.

• davbrucas

Posted March 22, 2010 - 07:20 AM

I would take the carb apart and clean it thoroughly...and while you are in there, put the float bowl back where it was.

• awthacker

Posted April 11, 2010 - 01:45 AM

I got it running but it still runs like crap.
I cleaned the carb pretty good with some cleaner and the main squirter was clogged. Now it squirts when I twist the throttle and it runs but it not running very good like something else might be wrong with it. Because come to find out the water pump seal and pin and it filled up the engine case with coolant till oil and water went through the head and down out of the valve cover breather.

So right away I put in new seals and pin for the water pump drained the motor of oil/coolant. But no telling how long my buddy rode it and let it do some damage? The carbs are clean now and it idles rough and backfires like hell but when its on the throttle it goes really good. But as soon as you let off the gas it doesn't sound like a smooth return to idle. It's almost like it's binding up like maybe the cams are freezing up slowing it down.

I don't know if they are bad or not because I looked at them but maybe I should take them out completely and check.

Anyways maybe its just me and these carb's make the bike act like that when something is wrong. It also might have an air leak causing it to have a high idle sometimes. Could it just be the carbs? I sure hope so.

• davbrucas

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:44 PM

Check for air leaks and check your valve clearances.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.