FCR39 MX Help Please

10 replies to this topic
  • killa09DRZ

Posted March 19, 2010 - 06:49 PM

I have a 2009 DRZ400sm with a MRD/SSW exhaust,3x3, and just installed the fcr39mx kit from TT. I did the o-ring mod aswell. I did forget to order the extended fuel screw so that wont be here until sometime next week.

The carb swap was a breeze and the bike started right up. I followed the directions for the initial tunning. After my first ride I noticed a slight bog with the initial take off with light throttle. I also noticed on decel the popping from the exhaust was bad.

So I took it apart again(really wish i had the extended screw at this point) and from the mixture screw being 2 turns i turn it out to almost 3 turns. The bog got alittle better and so did the popping on decel but both are still there.

I know some popping is normal but this is more then I had with the stock carb w/JD kit. I did not have the bog as well. I know this is a sign of being on the lean side. Just wanted some help on what to change or adjust to help smooth it out.

The WOT does feel great and is a big inprovement over the stock jetted carb. But I know there is more in the set up and with alittle help I can get the most out of it.

I am at sea level btw.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• suzuki sm nut 123

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:10 PM

try adjusting your squirt timming , a 1/4 turn out at a time . adjust test adjust

remember the first setting so if no improvment or gets worse you can go back

• killa09DRZ

Posted March 19, 2010 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for a quick response. But I'm new to the bike carb thing. All my other bike were fi. I can rebuild a car carb with my eyes closed. Can someone explain to me which screw is the sqirt timing screw. Thanks!

• chrisf608

Posted March 19, 2010 - 09:27 PM

What jetting did you use? EMN.

• Dr Honda

Posted March 20, 2010 - 03:34 AM

Thanks for a quick response. But I'm new to the bike carb thing. All my other bike were fi. I can rebuild a car carb with my eyes closed. Can someone explain to me which screw is the sqirt timing screw. Thanks!

When you did the O-ring mod... you pulled it over a little arm with a screw in it. That screw controls the timing on the accelerator pump. Turn it in 1/2 a turn, and see if the bog gets better. I'm not using the TT kit FCR39... but I turned my screw in an extra 1 1/2 turns from where the last bike liked it... and my bog is non-existent.

• William1

Posted March 20, 2010 - 03:46 AM

I'll add, the popping is normal for a non-cv type carb without a coast enricher.

You should set the fuel screw for the best idle and leave it be. Do not try and adjust it to affect a problem that it is not intended for. Fuel screw is for idle only!

• killa09DRZ

Posted March 20, 2010 - 04:40 AM

I used the jetting that the carb came with and the emn needle. I will try the sqirt screw today and see what happens. Once the extended scree gets here I can set that better. Thanks again

• killa09DRZ

Posted March 21, 2010 - 03:24 PM

Ok the part throttle bog is basically gone. But I had to turn the mixture screw back in a 1/2 turn because the bike was dieing at idle with it being 3 turns out. But the popping on decel was better.

Now that the mixture screw is 2 1/2 turns out the bike idles fine but the popping got worse again. Is there a way to help this or should I just get used to it with the fcr and mrd exhaust?

• William1

Posted March 22, 2010 - 03:00 AM

Get used to it. Popping is a fact of life with an open pipe.

• xr50kidx

Posted March 22, 2010 - 04:53 PM

killa 09 drz show some pics of your bike the guys here would love to peep it,...

• killa09DRZ

Posted March 24, 2010 - 01:36 AM

Will have some pics up this weekend. As you know NYC weather sux the last few days.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Brand new 2014 DRZ 400SM by jprince911

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  65 replies
Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DRZ400SM fork springs? by Ladyeclectic

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

Wisconsinite762 Mod Thread by Wisconsinite762

• Hot  74 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.