Short review on the 2010 450

15 replies to this topic
  • norcal_hoss

Posted March 19, 2010 - 03:58 PM

Ive ridden a few times this week. Today rented Hangtown national track and rode ALL day. Track got pretty rough so gives me a few things to say about the bike so far. First off my MX1 suspension is SWEET! At first it was not getting down through the stroke and felt a little chatter on braking bumps.. Went three clicks out on compression and three clicks IN on rebound wow what a difference. I have not ridden that aggressive for like two years it was awesome and I was looking for the rough stuff to just power through. Bike is very balanced now running 108 mm of sag moved the forks up about 1/4 " in the tubes made it turn better. I think 21 mm off set clamps would be nice on the bike it did feel a little washy but it was hot out and the track was beat by the end of the day..Still have the stock tires so that is my first step is changing the front to a 756.
I played with different maps all day.. Stock to mellow to smooth to snappy. I personally like the smooth and mellow map. Its on MXA website. The one they said was the most liked was a good map but as I got more comfortable on the bike I started making it have more hit. I have just over 5 hours on the bike and im starting to feel real good on it. The akro exhaust is awesome it really opened up the power and with the tuner you can get some nice results. Im going to make my own with more top end but the "smooth" map really lets the top end work better. I went up a tooth in the rear sprocket and with the smooth mapping its a winner. Linear power from bottom to top. The bike is really good now im very happy the way I have it set up I think the main thing is getting more weight on the front end but im going to ride a track Sunday that a bit more tacky and see how it works. The front stock tire is a pos and I know it has alot to do with it. Overall im loving the bike I feel like im riding the way I should now . i just cant say enough about my suspension tho im sure stock is good if sprung for your weight but MX1 has some good internal work he has done and it works great.. I was hitting some huge pot holes on fast downhill sections the bike wouldn't even flinch just floated over everything.
This bike rocks period if your on the fence you need to ride someones and put a little time on it. The tuner is a great feature and it takes about 20 sec to change the map no tools nothing just unclip the connector on the side of the bike above the left radiator plug in the tuner click send and bam your done go test it. Yamaha did there homework for sure and anyone that has a 10' should really look into a tuner it is super nice tool that can really make a difference at different tracks or track conditions. I adjusted as the track got rougher and more slippy and it really works for the better.

Hoss

• honda907

Posted March 19, 2010 - 04:36 PM

Ive ridden a few times this week. Today rented Hangtown national track and rode ALL day. Track got pretty rough so gives me a few things to say about the bike so far. First off my MX1 suspension is SWEET! At first it was not getting down through the stroke and felt a little chatter on braking bumps.. Went three clicks out on compression and three clicks IN on rebound wow what a difference. I have not ridden that aggressive for like two years it was awesome and I was looking for the rough stuff to just power through. Bike is very balanced now running 108 mm of sag moved the forks up about 1/4 " in the tubes made it turn better. I think 21 mm off set clamps would be nice on the bike it did feel a little washy but it was hot out and the track was beat by the end of the day..Still have the stock tires so that is my first step is changing the front to a 756.
I played with different maps all day.. Stock to mellow to smooth to snappy. I personally like the smooth and mellow map. Its on MXA website. The one they said was the most liked was a good map but as I got more comfortable on the bike I started making it have more hit. I have just over 5 hours on the bike and im starting to feel real good on it. The akro exhaust is awesome it really opened up the power and with the tuner you can get some nice results. Im going to make my own with more top end but the "smooth" map really lets the top end work better. I went up a tooth in the rear sprocket and with the smooth mapping its a winner. Linear power from bottom to top. The bike is really good now im very happy the way I have it set up I think the main thing is getting more weight on the front end but im going to ride a track Sunday that a bit more tacky and see how it works. The front stock tire is a pos and I know it has alot to do with it. Overall im loving the bike I feel like im riding the way I should now . i just cant say enough about my suspension tho im sure stock is good if sprung for your weight but MX1 has some good internal work he has done and it works great.. I was hitting some huge pot holes on fast downhill sections the bike wouldn't even flinch just floated over everything.
This bike rocks period if your on the fence you need to ride someones and put a little time on it. The tuner is a great feature and it takes about 20 sec to change the map no tools nothing just unclip the connector on the side of the bike above the left radiator plug in the tuner click send and bam your done go test it. Yamaha did there homework for sure and anyone that has a 10' should really look into a tuner it is super nice tool that can really make a difference at different tracks or track conditions. I adjusted as the track got rougher and more slippy and it really works for the better.

Hoss

Thanks for the update!!

Man I like my new 2010, but not as much as you!! I thought it was much faster, but my lap times are not much different than with my 09.

I have not tried the pipe or tuner. Pipe is out. After buying the bike, I am not buying a pipe. It has enough stuff for me( I am older and YZer, by the way!), and besides, I spent enough money on the bike!

I am going to use the tuner from the shop(or at least rent it). After I find a setting I like, I doubt I would change it again. Again I am older and YZer!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

• DMauro

Posted March 19, 2010 - 04:44 PM

i wantd to ues mb1 on my kxf250 but being on the east coast the shipping and turn around time was just to much. maybe next time. thanks for the report.

• aedwards07

Posted March 19, 2010 - 06:09 PM

KB5 suspension(formerly EVO out of Pennsylvania) really has the suspension on my bike figured out as well.The bike just works soo well everywhere.I love everything about my 2010 except the stock chain quality and the position of the one oil drain plug.All in all the bike is awesome.

• fraser

Posted March 20, 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hoss, have you tried the Jay Marmont power curve? I preferred it over the MXA once I'd got a few hours on it. Seems unusual to me that you went for the fancy pipe but then settled for a mellow curve?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 20, 2010 - 06:00 AM

Glad you have your suspension figured out. I'm still working to get mine dialed in. It was real muddy the first race last sunday and I couldnt dial my suspension in the way i wanted to.

I know after riding in all the mud last week made me want to take that stock front tire and throw it as far as i can.

I changed the front tire out to a Michilen MS3 and will tune on the suspension at the race tomorrow.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2010 - 07:59 AM

Seems unusual to me that you went for the fancy pipe but then settled for a mellow curve?

Some fancy pipes have the effect of flattening the power curve by lifting one or both ends of it. Not really more mellow, but less peaky.

• fraser

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Some fancy pipes have the effect of flattening the power curve by lifting one or both ends of it. Not really more mellow, but less peaky.

Yeah, sorry, I meant using the MXA curve with the new pipe. I'd have thought you'd have gone to a more aggressive race setting to get the most from the new pipe?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scrubba

Posted March 20, 2010 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for the update!!

Man I like my new 2010, but not as much as you!! I thought it was much faster, but my lap times are not much different than with my 09.

I have not tried the pipe or tuner. Pipe is out. After buying the bike, I am not buying a pipe. It has enough stuff for me( I am older and YZer, by the way!), and besides, I spent enough money on the bike!

I am going to use the tuner from the shop(or at least rent it). After I find a setting I like, I doubt I would change it again. Again I am older and YZer!! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

yeah i like mine too, but the suspension is no where like he describes. i gots ta get my stuff off to enzo soon!

• thooker

Posted March 20, 2010 - 02:37 PM

Off I go to the track, will report back later....the handling on my 2009 was perfect, so I hope I can get the oh 10 close without buying lighter springs.

• basslips

Posted March 24, 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hey Hoss, how about a comparison to your '10 KTM? I'm more of a offroad/GP racer and recently switched from a big bore YZ250f to a KTM 2 stroke and just cannot get comfortable on the bike. Thought about the KTM 450 but just not sure the Euro bike is for me, so maybe coming back.

• norcal_hoss

Posted March 24, 2010 - 08:39 AM

Well they are def two different bikes. Here is what I like on both
2010 KTM 450
1. Motor pulls longer (way longer) and is smoother from top to bottom. Love the ktm motor.
2. Brakes on the ktm are not comparable to any jap bikes they are full works parts from the team best brakes period.
3. With the suspension set up right its very good not as plush as the yamaha but its very good.
4. Hydro clutch is very nice never needs adjustment always the same feel.
5. easy access air filter but you need to put a pro seal ring on it or you will suck sand in there.
6. All the parts from the spokes and hub to the triple clamps are top notch , they dont make a pos they build a quality bike.
7. Electric start

2010 YZ 450
1. Lightest feeling 450 ive ridden.. Feels like a 250f compared to my ktm 450.
2. Motor is good but has no top end, with the mapping tool you can achieve what you want but its still does not pull like the ktm does. I have the YZ motor pulling the way I like im happy with it now.
3. Probably the suspension on any bike especially once set up. MX1 did mine and I could not be happier its like riding on air.
4. Build is very nice the yamahas are always build well and reliable.
5. Brakes are crap went to a 280ebc front rotor its much much better.
6. Yz turns well better than the ktm for the simple fact it feels lighter. I still think the YZ needs more weight up front if I go any higher on my forks in the tubes there gonna hit my bars I think 20m offset if in the future.
7. I like where the air filter is, on dusty days its good to clean it after that ride but if the track is prepped good and you get your motos in before it gets dusty the air filter seems to stay cleaner longer.
8. The bike handles really well in rough stuff does not feel nervous at all.

I cant say what I liike more, I liked the KTM alot and I like the yamaha alot. Laptimes im faster on the Yamaha. There is no doubt about it ive checked at 4 different tracks and im just faster on it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2010 - 09:13 AM

...im faster on the Yamaha. There is no doubt about it ive checked at 4 different tracks and im just faster on it.

In the end, that's the whole point, isn't it? :thumbsup:

• basslips

Posted March 24, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Cool thanks for that. I really like the quality of my KTM. When I broke the KTM in, I did moto after moto switching between my YZ and KTM and was faster on the YZ. If that don't give you a sick to the stomach feeling! But the KTM is great in the tight stuff, just miss the power of the thumper doing moto.

How's the starting of the YZ? All of our races are dead engine.

• Davey762

Posted March 24, 2010 - 09:56 AM

Well they are def two different bikes. Here is what I like on both
2010 KTM 450
1. Motor pulls longer (way longer) and is smoother from top to bottom. Love the ktm motor.
2. Brakes on the ktm are not comparable to any jap bikes they are full works parts from the team best brakes period.
3. With the suspension set up right its very good not as plush as the yamaha but its very good.
4. Hydro clutch is very nice never needs adjustment always the same feel.
5. easy access air filter but you need to put a pro seal ring on it or you will suck sand in there.
6. All the parts from the spokes and hub to the triple clamps are top notch , they dont make a pos they build a quality bike.
7. Electric start

2010 YZ 450
1. Lightest feeling 450 ive ridden.. Feels like a 250f compared to my ktm 450.
2. Motor is good but has no top end, with the mapping tool you can achieve what you want but its still does not pull like the ktm does. I have the YZ motor pulling the way I like im happy with it now.
3. Probably the suspension on any bike especially once set up. MX1 did mine and I could not be happier its like riding on air.
4. Build is very nice the yamahas are always build well and reliable.
5. Brakes are crap went to a 280ebc front rotor its much much better.
6. Yz turns well better than the ktm for the simple fact it feels lighter. I still think the YZ needs more weight up front if I go any higher on my forks in the tubes there gonna hit my bars I think 20m offset if in the future.
7. I like where the air filter is, on dusty days its good to clean it after that ride but if the track is prepped good and you get your motos in before it gets dusty the air filter seems to stay cleaner longer.
8. The bike handles really well in rough stuff does not feel nervous at all.

I cant say what I liike more, I liked the KTM alot and I like the yamaha alot. Laptimes im faster on the Yamaha. There is no doubt about it ive checked at 4 different tracks and im just faster on it.

Thanks for that detailed review/notes.

Where did you get your EBC rotor kit? I had one on my crf and bought it off ebay for $160 but cant seem to find anything for the yamaha.

• norcal_hoss

Posted March 24, 2010 - 10:12 AM

I got the ebc off rocky mountain atv.. Its a great rotor ive had them on like 5 bikes for the price you cant beat them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.