just scored an 06 anniversary YZ450F

22 replies to this topic
  • Grand Rapids hooly

Posted March 18, 2010 - 10:11 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
I've been looking for a new bike and look what I found.
Super clean, 10 hours about??? I haven't had it out except for a couple of trips up and down the road.
Story: dad Bought it for his son... a few hours on it , looped it (see Muffler bent) Bike sat.
I love the colors, I had a 85 rz 350 Kenny Roberts edition with the same color scheme.
My first 450, Oil change, new gas.
Any advice on on getting the 15 degree bend out of the muffler? its bent at the last bolted connection.
Thanks

• husqy360

Posted March 18, 2010 - 10:36 PM

great find! looks like 10 min.

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 19, 2010 - 02:40 AM

Wow, that bike looks like it was totally a garage queen !!! I LOVE the "Hannah" throwback plastics !

• meanxr

Posted March 19, 2010 - 06:24 AM

Hey, great bike, maybe have to snug that chain a little.

• WB450

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:32 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
I've been looking for a new bike and look what I found.
Super clean, 10 hours about??? I haven't had it out except for a couple of trips up and down the road.
Story: dad Bought it for his son... a few hours on it , looped it (see Muffler bent) Bike sat.
I love the colors, I had a 85 rz 350 Kenny Roberts edition with the same color scheme.
My first 450, Oil change, new gas.
Any advice on on getting the 15 degree bend out of the muffler? its bent at the last bolted connection.
Thanks

I would buy a Dr. D, or just find a new stock pipe. Love those bikes.:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:36 AM

Absolutely not. The chain is fine. This is what a correctly adjusted '06+ YZ450 chain should look like:

Posted Image

If you run it tighter, it will end up looking like this:

Posted Image

• Polar_Bus

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:18 AM

Tips taken right from the hillbilly YZF blog : " Loosen the chain slack till you hear a deafining chain slap, then loosen the chain another 1/4" ! LOL :banana:

• jrny426

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:32 AM

Awesome bike love the yellow

I think I better check my chain adjustment tho LOL

• Gunner354

Posted March 19, 2010 - 09:24 AM

Hey Gray,
Would be great to post a pic and specs of your custom go no go chain tensioner block.

• meanxr

Posted March 19, 2010 - 10:24 AM

so, the 3 finger slack behind the chain slider does not apply to these bikes? Guess I've always adjusted my chains this way and have had zero problems. Well looks like a time for a change. Thanks grayracer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 19, 2010 - 01:04 PM

If your 3 fingers measure 1.9" reliably, you'll be fine.

• SkyHarborCowboy

Posted March 19, 2010 - 02:09 PM

Read up on some of Greys tips on the bike. The bottom oil filter bolt deal is a big heads up that he gives! I would either buy or closely examine the airfilter. They seem to get bad quick if they are left too dry for too long. I would also lube up the suspension and steering head bearings before riding the bike.

If you do go looking for a stocker stick to an 06 maybe 07 the newer ones are terrible from what I have read. Or buy a DR D. Disclaimer, his step dad was my gym coach in Jr High.

• aa996

Posted March 19, 2010 - 05:26 PM

That is exactly the kind of bike I'll be looking for when I get back to the States! I grew up with Yamahas being yellow. I'd be very lucky to find one in that condition though - even a blue one! :thumbsup:

• gfmoto

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:44 PM

Sweet bike I also had a "bumble Bee" yz it I loved the graphics I wish they still offered that choice instead of white or blue, although I'm picking up my white 2010 450 saturday!

• tahoeacr

Posted March 20, 2010 - 03:51 PM

I thought I had the cleanest one around. It's clear ya got me beat.
Posted Image

Love this bike but I will put it up on the block once I see if I get along with that Berg thing in the background. Set your race sag before you ride it in the dirt. Mine was way off from the dealer and would kick my 185lb butt around until I got it right for me(110mm). If you don't mind, pm me what you paid for it so I have an idea for price when I sell mine.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hey Gray,
Would be great to post a pic and specs of your custom go no go chain tensioner block.

It's a simple hardwood block that could be a piece of 2x4, 1x3, whatever. Just about any material you want to work with is fine. Hardwoods work better than pine or fir because it won't get beat up as easily. A bunch of dents or grooves in the thing would interfere with its accuracy. Metal or plastic would work, as well.

The short "go" step is 1 15/16" (~49mm), and the taller "no go" step is 2 11/32" (60mm)

Posted Image

Perch the block on the rear slider bolt, and if the short step fits, but the tall step doesn't, It's good.

• husqy360

Posted March 20, 2010 - 11:38 PM

i will for sure make 1, its very simple and yet it can be so complicated at some times to adjust the chain. patent it.

• Tim1018

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Yea book says 1.8 to 2.2 inches I keep mine right at 2.0. I do wish they put the same number of markings on the alignment blocks between the left and right side. It'd make it much easier to line everything back up...

• cowboyona426

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:42 AM

It's a simple hardwood block that could be a piece of 2x4, 1x3, whatever. Just about any material you want to work with is fine. Hardwoods work better than pine or fir because it won't get beat up as easily. A bunch of dents or grooves in the thing would interfere with its accuracy. Metal or plastic would work, as well.

The short "go" step is 1 15/16" (~49mm), and the taller "no go" step is 2 11/32" (60mm)

Posted Image

Perch the block on the rear slider bolt, and if the short step fits, but the tall step doesn't, It's good.

So ingenious, yet so simple. Three cheers for grayracer, once again.

• Tiara 3100

Posted April 06, 2010 - 03:21 PM

Question: is the rear wheel on the ground or suspended when measuring?

Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.