Issues with Cold start on my YZ426F

4 replies to this topic
  • CrucifiedYZ

Posted March 17, 2010 - 06:41 PM

Herd this was the place to find help, I just bought a 2000 YZ 426F, All around it seems like a great bike, but when I try to start it when it is cold she takes forever to fire up. I did my research on the Edelbrock carb and did notice that the carb I have does not have an Enricher Lever or a choke and from my experiance you kind of need either one correct? I need some knowledge from all of you can you please give me some tips and advice on how to get this bike to start on 1-2 kicks instead of 30-40. Thanks for you help.

• g-powerr

Posted March 18, 2010 - 12:36 AM

All 426 have both hot start and a choke on the stock carb. But 30-40 kicks - you probably have valve issues, need to rejet, need a new spark plug,... or just don't know how to kick it right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2010 - 08:54 AM

All 426 have both hot start and a choke on the stock carb.

He already said he has an Edelbrock carb, which has neither of these features.

Here's 2 much better videos on the starting process, although again, he doesn't have a stock carb.

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

Proper technique will help, but cold starting is going to be tough without some enrichment. My advice would be to ditch the Eddy and buy a good used '05 or later YZ450 carb. I just sold one to another TT'er with a 426, and his feedback was that the bike never ran so good.

• CrucifiedYZ

Posted March 18, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Awesome thanks for the input on the 05 YZ450 carb I will deffinatly check that out.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2010 - 07:18 PM

'05 or later. The TT classifieds or eBay are your best choices.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.