Just got my YZ needle. Any suggestions?

16 replies to this topic
  • Lowedog

Posted May 28, 2003 - 01:03 PM

I am going to try the yz needle in my WR450. I am currently running with all the free mods done a 160 main, 50 pilot, 1-1\2 turns out on fuel screw, and stock needle in 4th position. elevation 1000-3000 ft. Any one have a suggestion for a starting point?

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 28, 2003 - 03:10 PM

Uncork your pipe and you should be close with the needle in clip #4.

• jasowiii

Posted May 28, 2003 - 04:50 PM

Wassup with the YZ needle? You hold'in out on me?

• Lowedog

Posted May 28, 2003 - 07:35 PM

Indy, you are referring to the YZ needle in the 4th position right? Pipe is already uncorked and the bike runs real well. Just thought I would see if there is any thing else in there. I need something to be able to compete with the Jimmy tube. :)

• wrkaholic

Posted May 28, 2003 - 08:04 PM

Not an expert, this board helped me alot. Mine ran rich with anything other than close to stock YZ jetting with the EKP needle. See my sig. for jetting. I believe EKP needle is a little richer than the YZ needle. Your pilot seems a little rich. Again, I am no expert. I only followed the advice of this board and started out in the right direction.

• Lowedog

Posted May 29, 2003 - 12:26 PM

OK, I think I'll start with the stock YZ jetting. It seems kind of strange that the standard pilot jet for the YZ is one size smaller than the one for the WR. #42 for YZ and #45 for the WR. It must be because of the differances in the needle and the way bigger main jet. :)

• wrkaholic

Posted May 29, 2003 - 01:44 PM

Yes, you are right, it is because the YZ needle is much more agressive than the "D" WR needle. This logic has eluded many people including the previous owner of my bike. Most people put in the YZ or EKP needle and move up a few sizes in jets. This throws everything off, way too rich. My bike had a EKP needle in 4th position, a 68 pilot and a 172 main. It was way rich and would miss under rollon throttle (from 0 to 1/2). See my sig. for what works much better now.

• Indy_WR450

Posted May 29, 2003 - 05:44 PM

Wrkaholic is right the needle taper plays a lot into the size of your main jet. The more aggressive tapers use a smaller main jet. There seems to be different strategies but with most of the mods TT members are doing, I favor dropping the stock needle which has a mild taper and going to a more aggressive and richer needle. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted May 30, 2003 - 05:38 AM

I think the WR450 and the WR426 are jetted differently.

• Jonesy920

Posted June 01, 2003 - 01:06 PM

Indy did you put your YZ needle back in ??? I took mine out when it got over 65 degrees F. My bike was running way to rich. If I ever get a chance to ride again I might find out how it runs with the temps in the 70/80's :) July is the projected date to be done with training. Hope to ride with you in Attica. :D

• timvv51

Posted June 01, 2003 - 02:22 PM

The carb bodies are slightly different.

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 01, 2003 - 05:32 PM

Hey Scott, I am on the YZ needle NDJN and will be switching when it gets hot to a P needle. It still has been cold around here. We have yet to have hot weather this year. It has been an unseasonably cold spring. The thunder alley pipe does not like the stock needle. Attica in July will be good when I get back from Colorado. Gone from July 3rd to the 14th. Talk to you later. :)

• Lowedog

Posted June 03, 2003 - 02:01 PM

I ran the stock YZ jetting on Sunday and was pleased. Seemed to really liven up the mid range. Off idle performance was great. Rode up to 6000 feet and was a little rich up that high but not terrible. As the day grew warmer it lost a little performance so I think I'll try lowering the needle one position for the next ride as the weather is getting warmer here. May need to go to the next leaner needle when it gets real hot. It still kind of baffles me as to why the stock YZ pilot is smaller than the stock WR pilot. I was running a 50 with the WR needle and 160 main. Now its a 42 pilot with a 162 main for the YZ needle.

• Taffy

Posted June 03, 2003 - 09:20 PM

it's really quite simple the difference between a 'D' taper needle and an 'E' taper needle is that the needle taper on the 'D' starts a lot higher up the needle it then crosses a point in the middle of the needle that none of us can see and comes to a fat blunted end.

in the meantime the 'E' taper needle starts a lot lower and a lot later. 4mm anyone?

it cuts straight down and in to a point. this means my frinds that for a short distance the 'D' series is a thinner needle!!!!!!!!! and that friends, is the bit right where the pilot jet works!

thinner needle = needs smaller pilot jet.

just try to think of a wide based cone that cuts in to a pencil point and another that has a narrower base and comes to a fat blunted end.

remember that until you understand it all you don't understand any of it (i think, er maybe) :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted June 03, 2003 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the insight Taffy, I always suspected that the pilot circuit and needle overlapped a lot more then others have said on this forum. :)

• Taffy

Posted June 04, 2003 - 03:29 AM

yep, just so's everyone knows the needle isn't important here, it's not even what you set the bike up by. treat it as a cake and the icing is the PJ. it takes a change in taper just to change 1 pilot jet number so it doesn't happen everyday.

the problem with the 'D' taper is that if it is on clip 1, 2 or 3 the damn taper start is so low in the hole it can cause a slight bog.

the answer is funnily enough right up the other end. if you lean the MJ off the needle needs lifting. this is why when you read jetting Qs you'll note that there are dozens of jetting changes going on but that the bloody needle bobs up and down like a float on the river!

thus my dig at yami the other night.

• Lowedog

Posted June 04, 2003 - 01:04 PM

E taper and D taper? How do I convert those to what Yamaha has listed for the WR450 and the YZ450? All I know is that the WR needles are listed like OBDUQ and the YZ needles are NCVQ and so on.

Also, can any one tell me what the standard pilot air jet is on the WR450's. I guess I can take it out and look.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.