Time for a new complete clutch

21 replies to this topic
  • Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:52 AM

I'm replacing my entire clutch, its wobbling on the gear and notched, and the plates are burnt black. I have found I can replace the basket with gytr and use OEM inner hub and pressure plate for 237.76 or full gytr for 479.88. I'm thinking about OEM or gytr clutch plates and springs. Is it worth the price difference to go with full gytr parts? Is there a performance difference with the gytr clutch cover?

• Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:52 AM

Its for an 07 yz450f

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:34 AM

There is a distinct advantage to a good aftermarket basket because they are harder and less expensive than using the complete drive gear/basket assembly from Yamaha.

The OEM boss, OTOH, is so much less expensive than the AM piece that any advantage the AM unit may have is more than offset by the 4X higher price.

The pressure plate is a little more vague an issue. in older models, the AM plates are stiffer and perform better, but not so much on the '06 and up.

But you say "its wobbling on the gear". What part is wobbling on what gear?

• Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:48 PM

I can rock the basket back and forth when I hold the big gear on the back of the basket in place.

• Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 03:20 PM

By the big gear I mean the Primary driven gear in the manual.

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2010 - 03:58 PM

That condition will not be changed by changing to an aftermarket basket. If there is a problem with the torsional cushion in your primary driven gear assembly has excess movement in it, you need a new OEM unit.

Have someone look at it. A certain amount of movement is normal.

• Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:08 PM

What would you say is a normal amount of freeplay?

• grayracer513

Posted March 17, 2010 - 06:23 PM

FREEplay? None. Movement under force? Depends on the force involved and the direction. Have it looked at.

• Family Man

Posted March 17, 2010 - 06:50 PM

Alright.

• Family Man

Posted March 19, 2010 - 11:22 PM

Are the hinson cushins the same thing as the oem cushions? Thats what you are saying may be worn out, right? Im wondering if I order some of AM cushions if I could use an aftermarket Gytr/hinson basket?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2010 - 07:48 AM

Neither Hinson nor Yamaha sell the internal cushions as serviceable parts that I'm aware of. Beat up cushions allow excess rotational play. The ability to tilt the clutch basket off-axis relative to the gear speaks of bearing wear within the unit if it is excessive.

Have you had it inspected?

• Family Man

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Its probley toast, but I may take it in monday and have it checked out. Theres one real motorcycle mechanic around here. Hes super busy. However, I can get the whole brand new oem clutch basket with gear for five dollars more than just the GYTR basket. Also, I can tilt the unit off axis with minimal force.

• aedwards07

Posted March 20, 2010 - 09:18 AM

Gray,
Hinson does sell the cushions.They are right around $30.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2010 - 10:43 AM

Gray,
Hinson does sell the cushions.They are right around $30.

I checked the online catalog before I posted and didn't see anything listed. If you have a link, I'd appreciate it. Frankly, I think it's great that someone makes these available.

That would take care of the rotational slack, but the control of the axial position of the basket is a structural thing between the driven gear segment and the hub segment the basket rivets/bolts to, so that is what needs to be examined.

• Family Man

Posted March 20, 2010 - 05:38 PM

Grey do you think it would be a better idea to go with the oem unit in this situation, wear, cost?

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2010 - 05:40 PM

Depends on its condition. Sounds like it could be.

• aedwards07

Posted March 20, 2010 - 05:49 PM

Well just double checked in the 2010 Hinson catalog.Apparently Hinson has replacement ones for every bike BUT a Yamaha.I replaced 3 sets of Honda ones last week.
http://www.powerspor...&catpage=450.00
Tucker rocky only carries them for a Honda and KTM but they also make them for Kawis and Suzukis.

• Family Man

Posted March 22, 2010 - 09:50 AM

what is the part number of the hinson clutch cushions? I know there not on the hinson web site but I may be able to find them at another location.

• Family Man

Posted March 22, 2010 - 03:52 PM

No available cushions means oem basket for me.

• aedwards07

Posted March 22, 2010 - 06:17 PM

Call hinson.They may have another solution for you.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.