any tips on starting my bike after sitting all winter?

10 replies to this topic
  • panaman

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:48 PM

Um yeah....
I am wore out from kicking the crap out of it..... no go

maybe spray some starting fluid in the air box???

• desertlover

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm not a fan of starter fluid. You could try to drain the float bowl/fuel tank and put some fresh gas in it with some sea foam or toluene ortake apart the carb and clean the jets (good luck with that 09). Need to run all the gas out before letting it sit all winter or put some stabilizer in it and start it periodically.

When you get it running, mix some sea foam or toluene in the gas to help clean out the carb.:banana:

• panaman

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:05 AM

I'm not a fan of starter fluid. You could try to drain the float bowl/fuel tank and put some fresh gas in it with some sea foam or toluene ortake apart the carb and clean the jets (good luck with that 09). Need to run all the gas out before letting it sit all winter or put some stabilizer in it and start it periodically.

When you get it running, mix some sea foam or toluene in the gas to help clean out the carb.:banana:

is there an easy way to drain the bowl?
because there wasn't an easy way to take it off when I re-jetted it...

• teamtree

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:06 AM

Well if its a WR.......There is a screw on the bottom left side of the bowl that opens a drain connected to one of the 30+ hoses comming out the bottom of the M/C. Open it with the gas off and watch it drain and close it when it stops!

• panaman

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:06 PM

LOL, i went to drain the gas from the tank.... and nothing came out.. hehe.. i was low on fuel... i flipped it to reserve and it started right up.. hehheh

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:26 PM

sounds like something i could do...EASILY...

• C-P

Posted March 21, 2010 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, I was gonna say mine starts just as easy after storage as during the riding season..course the button does help too

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 21, 2010 - 02:12 PM

LOL, i went to drain the gas from the tank.... and nothing came out.. hehe.. i was low on fuel... i flipped it to reserve and it started right up.. hehheh

LOLz.

When you get it running, mix some sea foam or toluene in the gas to help clean out the carb

The seafoam really works huh? :thumbsup:

• redneckj

Posted March 21, 2010 - 06:49 PM

Does the fuel that you have in the bike have have Alcohol in it? IE, E10?? If so the carb will need to be taken off and cleaned. Take off the tank and get that crappy fuel out of there. I swear by using the Stabil Marine Formula fuel treatment for E10 fuel. Mine sat all winter, but I still gave it a lil squrit of starting fluid and it popped right off. Saved my leg from kicking a bunch for sure. Good luck.

• Summit

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:20 AM

First, you should have used Starbrite fuel stabilizer, it will keep gas good for a year. Anyway, if my bike sits for a while I always just tip it over till some fuel runs out. Starts right up.

• Youser

Posted March 22, 2010 - 05:49 PM

I love sea foam I've used it for years with no problems on dirbikes, roadbikes and snowblowers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.