Front Brake rebuild/repair. Where to start?

2 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:02 PM

My front brake is a little soft and spongy these days, and I want to get it a bit tighter. My front brake line has a spot worn in it(not all the way through) from one of the brake line guides on the fork, so I was going to replace that, as well as the brake pads. Is the stock front brake line a braided stainless line? Is there a possible performance gain by switching to one? What can I do to the caliper itself, in terms of servicing, greasing, or maintenance? Should I rebuild the master cylinder? which brake pads are the best replacement for mountain/woods riding? I'm reserving the oversize rotor kit as an option, and am open to suggestions as to brands and types as well, but I'd like to get every other piece of the puzzle working as well as possible first. Also, my rotor is 3 years old at this point. Could that be a factor? Any help would be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted March 16, 2010 - 03:39 AM

if your rotor is still flat, it won't need replacing, you can clean up any glazing on it with emery cloth on a block while spinning the wheel. if the rotor has a mild wobble it is usually salvageable by prying it in the opposite direction through clamping it with an adjustable wrench - do this VERY carefully, it doesn't take much to straighten one.

Definitely replace your brake line, it could be the cause of the spongy feeling - I believe they are NOT all braided, definitely go with a braided line.
Rebuilding the master cylinder is cheap and easy so that's a definite as well.
Caliper.....there isn't much to a caliper, definitely break it down, inspect it and replace any parts that show signs of wear. In most instances the pistons may show a bit of rust where they protrude out of the caliper, this is normally something you can clean up using fine emery cloth (1000 grit).

For pads, you have to go with what you like. Organic pads tend to wear faster but do less damage to the rotor over their life and tend to slow you down faster than a metallic pad would....however, a metallic pad will last a lot longer in dirty conditions....I'm guessing Organics may be more suited for steep terrain :banana:

• mikeythefokker

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:09 PM

Thanks Matt. Very good info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.