TT or GYTR AIS removal kit - how many folks in CA are using them?

8 replies to this topic
  • drick

Posted March 15, 2010 - 09:01 PM

trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle vs. getting my jetting as close to perfect as possible. i don't want to be the guy who gets to sit in the truck or RV while the rest of the fellas tear it up all weekend due to getting nabbed.

i read a bunch on the Honda subforum about this, but didn't get many results on this forum. did i not search far enough, or have the cali folk here just been lucky so far?

I'm most interested in Holllister, Tahoe area, and StonyFord (all NorCal) areas as those are the places i ride the most.

p.s. i ride Hollister almost every weekend, and the boys at the front gate look at the green sticker and exhaust, nothing else as close as i can tell. my bike is so quiet with the FMF Q4 on it, you can hardly tell it's running unless I'm up in the band..

:banana:

Edited by drick, March 16, 2010 - 08:48 AM.

• onearmbandit

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:16 AM

I live in So. Cal and have installed the GYTR kit. So far I have had no problems with rangers. I did all of the free mods at once so I cant tell you if removing the AIS did anything or not. I have heard it doesnt really do anything.

For me it was a matter of principle.... The EPA Nazis want me to have it so I choose not too. Id rather pay the fines than cave in to stupidity.

Honestly, I think it comes down to knowing your riding area though. Personally, I very rarely even see another rider where I ride, let alone a ranger.

I would say, remove the AIS but keep it in a box in your garage just in case you wanna go to some highly ranger patrolled riding area. When you go there, just screw the thing on but dont hook it up...that way if they look up under your radiator...its there

• drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:52 AM

I live in So. Cal and have installed the GYTR kit. So far I have had no problems with rangers. I did all of the free mods at once so I cant tell you if removing the AIS did anything or not. I have heard it doesnt really do anything.

For me it was a matter of principle.... The EPA Nazis want me to have it so I choose not too. Id rather pay the fines than cave in to stupidity.

Honestly, I think it comes down to knowing your riding area though. Personally, I very rarely even see another rider where I ride, let alone a ranger.

I would say, remove the AIS but keep it in a box in your garage just in case you wanna go to some highly ranger patrolled riding area. When you go there, just screw the thing on but dont hook it up...that way if they look up under your radiator...its there

Hollister is heavily patrolled, and getting moreso every day. last weekend, they must have had 20 rangers & 2 sheriffs in the staging/camping areas alone, and that doesn't account for their guys on the trails. this is great when you need them (i.e. crashing/broke down, they came and picked up my broken ass and my busted up bike already once, so to be clear this no shot at them, i'm a fan)

they were doing some kind of random inspection of trucks, trailers, and bikes last weekend but no one ever really figured out what they were looking for.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted March 16, 2010 - 08:55 AM

they were doing some kind of random inspection of trucks, trailers, and bikes last weekend but no one ever really figured out what they were looking for.

Must suck to get a rectal exam everytime you go ride. :banana: Honestly, I couldn't do it. I can't stand the govt trying to regulate every aspect of my life. Thank you officer! May I go ride now? Perty please? Thanks for the privilege. :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 09:07 AM

Must suck to get a rectal exam everytime you go ride. :lol: Honestly, I couldn't do it. I can't stand the govt trying to regulate every aspect of my life. Thank you officer! May I go ride now? Perty please? Thanks for the privilege. :banana:

i hear you, but....

disclaimer - political statement follows:

unfortunately i think it's likely to get worse as the govanator tries to shut down all the state parks/OHV areas, and then to top it off makes another run at the green/red sticker fund to balance out Cali's perpetually unbalanced budget.

and finally, less we forget our friends on the environmental side of the house who want to shut down all access to trucks, bikes, quads, horses, hikers, etc. on all of the public land so that they can preserve it for... well someone or something else.

:banana:

but i digress..

unless we all become magically wealthy and can buy our own land to avoid the govt. , which in Cali is about as likely as winning the lotto, i think that is the hand we are dealt and need to plan accordingly.

stepping off soap box, and fading back into obscurity.

p.s. i'm hoping that my membership/dues/donations to:

AMA
ATVA
CA State Parks Foundation
CA4WDC
CORVA
Ducks Unlimited
Tread Lightly

provide balance and access to politicians who can be bought to address our side of the issue

just didn't want you to think i was rolling over without a fight

• AnimalDan

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:02 PM

To answer the OP question. My experience for checks of my AIS on my WR450F
Stonyford = never
Holllister = never but I only ride there on weekdays
Metcalf = never
Carnegie = YES
Sierras south of Tahoe = never

• panaman

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:42 PM

i've read that some guys on here leave it on but plug it all up so it looks functional

• drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:46 PM

To answer the OP question. My experience for checks of my AIS on my WR450F
Stonyford = never
Holllister = never but I only ride there on weekdays
Metcalf = never
Carnegie = YES
Sierras south of Tahoe = never

thanks dan, sounds like i might be ok then throwing it on

• drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:47 PM

i've read that some guys on here leave it on but plug it all up so it looks functional

yeah that seems to be the most common, i agree

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.