BarnumsPro CAIK on an '09, anyone have one?

14 replies to this topic
  • drick

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:32 PM

I'm waffling on this and(or) the GYTR AIS removal kit since it looks like TT kit doesn't exist anymore.

Is anyone else running one on an '09, and if so do you still have the AIS on, or did you pull it?

My bike is running almost perfect, but it still needs to get more air in the box and the Barnums kit looks really clean. We are heading up to StonyFord in a few weeks, and i would like to make sure that it's ready for the trip.

TIA
D

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:54 PM

The barnumspro kit looks like a ventilated airbox door with a screen(an overpriced one at that). Some users have fabbed up their own using fine screen plus they were able to retain the hinge of the stock airbox door.

Now the GTYR AIS kit is something different all together. Its a block off kit for the smog crap and it includes an adjustable needle and a main jet. You'll save a bunch of money piecing the stuf together yourself.

For the smog blockoff vaccum plugs will take care of the fittings on the airbox and intake side, and 1/4 inch thick steel plate will take care making the block off plate for the port above the header. Use the pipe flange as a template and use a dremel to cut it out. Use the steel gasket from under the flange to put between the head and block off plate

BTW removing the AIS from the bike doesn't really affect the performance. My bike seems to run pretty much the same whether the AIS is functional, plugged, or removed and blocked off. Disabling it eliminates the popping sound on deceleration. Removing it completely makes for a less cluttered looking engine area.

• drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:17 AM

The barnumspro kit looks like a ventilated airbox door with a screen(an overpriced one at that). Some users have fabbed up their own using fine screen plus they were able to retain the hinge of the stock airbox door.

Now the GTYR AIS kit is something different all together. Its a block off kit for the smog crap and it includes an adjustable needle and a main jet. You'll save a bunch of money piecing the stuf together yourself.

For the smog blockoff vaccum plugs will take care of the fittings on the airbox and intake side, and 1/4 inch thick steel plate will take care making the block off plate for the port above the header. Use the pipe flange as a template and use a dremel to cut it out. Use the steel gasket from under the flange to put between the head and block off plate

BTW removing the AIS from the bike doesn't really affect the performance. My bike seems to run pretty much the same whether the AIS is functional, plugged, or removed and blocked off. Disabling it eliminates the popping sound on deceleration. Removing it completely makes for a less cluttered looking engine area.

yeah, that's what i thought as well but i need to find a way to get more air into the motor, and major surgery is out of my realm of expertise. if the Barnum kit works, it's probably worth a $100 to me since it's easy to remove if i don't like it. major surgery on the other hand is kind of a one way ticket if i butcher the bike in the process, or am unhappy with the results.

I've already done the jets and throttle stop, so don't care about those pieces of the kit, i just want to test the plugged / removed theory. although i really don't get a good feel for the results vs. most of the other mods. about the best thing i hear is that it will help narrow in on the jetting, but mine is pretty good right now.

I'm quite happy with the performance of the bike, i just want him to be able to breathe a little more. I'm crystal clear that this is not a performance mod, but I'm hoping it will target the occasional backfire/pop i get and iron out the final few bugs in the jetting.

with those minimal targets, would you recommend doing it? I'm guessing no.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:19 PM

Did you remove the snorkel from the top of the airbox?

The barnums door will get alot more air into the engine. It will meet your objectives. Its only money right?

• drick

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:02 PM

Did you remove the snorkel from the top of the airbox?

The barnums door will get alot more air into the engine. It will meet your objectives. Its only money right?

so i know i'm going to get killed on this, but me and my buddy both read over the FAQ printouts when we did the gray wire and throttle stop, and neither of us saw the snorkel.

:banana:

preparing for my flaming/beating as i'm sure someone is going to point me towards something that makes it idiot proof

p.s. IMHO in the overall scheme of things, $100 for some air is relative for my build.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 16, 2010 - 10:18 PM

so i know i'm going to get killed on this, but me and my buddy both read over the FAQ printouts when we did the gray wire and throttle stop, and neither of us saw the snorkel.

:banana:

preparing for my flaming/beating as i'm sure someone is going to point me towards something that makes it idiot proof

p.s. IMHO in the overall scheme of things, $100 for some air is relative for my build.

Its below the battery tray and held on by screws.
http://www.thumperta...13&postcount=13

• drick

Posted March 17, 2010 - 06:01 AM

Its below the battery tray and held on by screws.
http://www.thumperta...13&postcount=13

thanks, that picture is what i needed.

just to be crystal clear so i don't start pulling things off i really need to do. in post # 50 & 51 of that string, the part i think is the snorkel is called a baffle, is this in fact the same part, or are these different parts?

sorry, my buddy is the mechanical brains of the operation, i just buy shit and he installs it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Parx_400

Posted March 17, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Anyone have contact infor for BARNUMS? That side plate is out of stock and I cant find an email address for them on the web page.

• drick

Posted March 17, 2010 - 01:12 PM

Anyone have contact infor for BARNUMS? That side plate is out of stock and I cant find an email address for them on the web page.

after i ordered mine, i got this as the contact info for order questions:

Customer Service Email: denise@barnumspro.com
Customer Service Phone: 760-868-8097

• Parx_400

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thanks. As always TT Delivers.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 21, 2010 - 01:33 PM

thanks, that picture is what i needed.

just to be crystal clear so i don't start pulling things off i really need to do. in post # 50 & 51 of that string, the part i think is the snorkel is called a baffle, is this in fact the same part, or are these different parts?

sorry, my buddy is the mechanical brains of the operation, i just buy shit and he installs it.

In the picture of the post I referenced, the thing that looks like a pair of binoculars is the snorkle. Everything you see on the table comes out.

The baffle (for the stock exhaust) is that little tube looking thing directly to the left of the alan wrench set. This is of no concern to you since you have an aftermarket pipe.

• drick

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:04 AM

after i ordered mine, i got this as the contact info for order questions:

Customer Service Email: denise@barnumspro.com
Customer Service Phone: 760-868-8097

p.s. good luck getting a response via email, i sent one a week ago and still haven't received any response. just sent a 2nd one this AM.

just tried calling and left a VM this AM as i ordered this 8 days ago, and have no invoice, no tracking information, and no idea if/when this thing is ever going to show up.
:lol:

this is starting to feel like the hyde racing guard thing all over again...
:thumbsup:

i'm starting to wonder if doing business with any of these little guys is worth the hassle as they are SLOW and nowhere to be found when you need help.

• drick

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:22 AM

In the picture of the post I referenced, the thing that looks like a pair of binoculars is the snorkle. Everything you see on the table comes out.

The baffle (for the stock exhaust) is that little tube looking thing directly to the left of the alan wrench set. This is of no concern to you since you have an aftermarket pipe.

ahh, i see. OK, now that makes more sense. thanks again for all of your help.

since it seems like I'm never going to get my CAIK kit from Barnums I'll do this today. it sure looks like that will drop a bunch more air into the box after getting rid of all that crap

• drick

Posted March 23, 2010 - 03:24 PM

success!! my buddy and i pulled all that shit off today, and you are ABSOLUTELY right. :lol:

that does make a huge difference. i can now hear the air box sucking in air when riding. kinda sounds like i have a blower on my bike now, which is sweet!

:)

thanks for all of your help and patience. :thumbsup:

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:32 PM

success!! my buddy and i pulled all that shit off today, and you are ABSOLUTELY right. :)

that does make a huge difference. i can now hear the air box sucking in air when riding. kinda sounds like i have a blower on my bike now, which is sweet!

:applause:

thanks for all of your help and patience. :thumbsup:

You are welcome. :lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.