2007 Bar Riser Questions??

12 replies to this topic
  • Stroker06

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:17 PM

Ok, I know how to use the search, but still can't find my answer.:banana:
I am 6'4" and 250 with gear. I am looking for a way to raise my stock Pro Taper bars. I am trying to find the style that looks like the lower bar mount stock. I need them approx 25-30mm taller (1 to 1-1/4).
I feel like the kind that fit into the lower mounts are not strong enough. Maybe I am an idiot, but if there are more pieces to clamp tight that means that more pieces can come loose, or flex more than I want.
I do almost all trail riding, so no motocross here.
Can anyone direct me to find the style of risers I am looking for?
I did see ones I liked but were part of the underbar steering damper, and I don't want that or need the expense.
Thanks..

• tek_01

Posted March 15, 2010 - 05:20 PM

maybe get some pastrana fmx pro taper bars, they are really tall and perhaps could get you the height you want without adding raisers?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:19 PM

maybe get some pastrana fmx pro taper bars, they are really tall and perhaps could get you the height you want without adding raisers?

i second this. Im 6'4 and love them. They have a 4 inch rise:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:05 AM

Stroker, on my 06 I have Windham bend bars with a 10mm spacer under the bar mounts. I'm about 6'2" and this setup works well for me.

• Smokeslider

Posted March 16, 2010 - 09:20 AM

6'5" here and I was running the MXbonz risers with the Pastrana FMX bend. Worked really well for me until I went with the Scotts Stabilizer which raised it even more. Happy with both setups

• Stroker06

Posted March 22, 2010 - 08:42 PM

Thanks cowboy. I have been looking at some new mounts by TAG metals and possibly new bars as well. I was just hoping to get the rise I wanted without spending too much money. I will try the spacer thing and see how much of a difference it makes first.
I don't like the look of the FMX bars though. too much of a bend for a dirt bike in my opinion. So I may go with the Windham bars as well if needed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 23, 2010 - 07:11 AM

Thanks cowboy. I have been looking at some new mounts by TAG metals and possibly new bars as well. I was just hoping to get the rise I wanted without spending too much money. I will try the spacer thing and see how much of a difference it makes first.
I don't like the look of the FMX bars though. too much of a bend for a dirt bike in my opinion. So I may go with the Windham bars as well if needed.

Not sure where you are in ID, but if you're in the northern part you're more than welcome to plop your butt on my bike and see how my setup feels. I'm about an hour from Spokane/CDA but I grew up in Twin and head that way every so often.

• djuhnk

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:19 AM

If i was you i would get either the woods hi bars or the mini hi bars from pro taper. i am 6'2'' and had the woods hi bars last year and absolutely loved them, i am trying the mini hi bars this year.. the only difference is that the mini hi bars are slightly taller and have less pullback. forget about the risers.

• Stroker06

Posted March 29, 2010 - 11:42 AM

Cowboy, I am in Rathdrum. I would like to try that, and appreciate the offer. Have you been riding yet this year? I went out a couple of weekends ago and still snow up high.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 01, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Cowboy, I am in Rathdrum. I would like to try that, and appreciate the offer. Have you been riding yet this year? I went out a couple of weekends ago and still snow up high.

I have been out once already- went to Canfield with a few other guys from this area first part of last month IIRC. Shoot me a PM if you are headed this way, or I can swing that way with the bike as soon as I get my new to me truck.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted April 01, 2010 - 12:05 PM

You could get some like these. They really helped bringing the bars up for me.

Posted Image

• Stroker06

Posted April 04, 2010 - 09:36 AM

Captain, I was trying to avoid that style of risers, because I feel they are weaker that one solid piece. I also think they would flex too much for my liking.
Just for giggles, where did you find the 1-1/8 to 1-1/8 style? I have only been able to find the 7/8 to 1-1/8 units like that.

• STROKEDIESEL

Posted April 04, 2010 - 10:38 AM

i recently went through all this on here and after the recommendation from many here i went with the windhams. feels great standing/sitting now i think i could opt for some lower pegs though. i am 6'3" fwiw

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.