Bar bend for YZ400

9 replies to this topic
  • Shawbridge Husky

Posted December 22, 2000 - 08:01 AM

I know that a bar bend is a personal preference thing, but I was just wondering ( as someone offered me a used Renthal in good shape , but less sweep than original ) what most prefer for our big thumpers. I ride mostly moto and practice courses set up in sand pits, very little trail riding.
Thanks guys!

• Hick

Posted December 22, 2000 - 09:26 AM

The stock YZ bar is pretty tall compared to other mfg. bends. But if you are still running the stock steel bar then, well I’d just be amazed. I bent mine ten times in two weeks (and straightened them 9).

I don’t moto but race five or six off road/dez races every year (most have long, deep sand whoops though), am just over six feet and an average (when upright) expert class skill level rider. I run Renthal TwinWall RC bends. As far as I know these are the tallest TwinWalls (I know, I know, the shortest rider but they spec. out tallest). I got them mounted just shy of perfectly vertical.

I also read where some guys like more sweep for whoops. My RC bends are less swept than stock, personally I can tell a difference here and like less sweep. Maybe because I used to ride BMX and MB so much (I also like my levers pointed at the ground).

Off topic, but related, is I also have bar mounts that are moved 5mm forward from stock, and stock was already 5mm forward of ’99 bar mounts. I did notice the difference here and definitely liked it, it didn’t seem to hurt me in the whoops but definitely helped in the turns. An additional 5mm might be even better.

My two cents.

Check out Renthal’s bar spec.s.

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted December 22, 2000 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the Renthal'a link Hick. You may just be the next Mr. Know it all! As for the bar I will probably dish out for new that fit right instead of skimping on used ones that don't work.

• MikeOK

Posted December 22, 2000 - 03:52 PM

The general rule is- if you stand alot and ride aggressively, a straighter bend is best. But if you sit more (like me), you need more bend...

Mike

• teamtoxic

Posted December 22, 2000 - 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
The stock YZ bar is pretty tall compared to other mfg. bends. But if you are still running the stock steel bar then, well I’d just be amazed. I bent mine ten times in two weeks (and straightened them 9).

I don’t moto but race five or six off road/dez races every year (most have long, deep sand whoops though), am just over six feet and an average (when upright) expert class skill level rider. I run Renthal TwinWall RC bends. As far as I know these are the tallest TwinWalls (I know, I know, the shortest rider but they spec. out tallest). I got them mounted just shy of perfectly vertical.

I also read where some guys like more sweep for whoops. My RC bends are less swept than stock, personally I can tell a difference here and like less sweep. Maybe because I used to ride BMX and MB so much (I also like my levers pointed at the ground).

Off topic, but related, is I also have bar mounts that are moved 5mm forward from stock, and stock was already 5mm forward of ’99 bar mounts. I did notice the difference here and definitely liked it, it didn’t seem to hurt me in the whoops but definitely helped in the turns. An additional 5mm might be even better.

My two cents.

Check out Renthal’s bar spec.s.

Hick or anyone reading, when I first brought my bike home the first things I threw on it were the White Bros. E-Series exhaust and a set of Maier handgaurds with the aluminum reinforcement through them.(I mostly trail ride)Of course, I've dropped my bike on its side a few times but I still have the stock bars on it and they haven't been bent or tweaked yet.
What I'm saying is that handgaurds not only protect your hands giving you more confidence, but they also reinforce the entire handlebar. So for about $80, they might be something to look into.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Me? I'm 15. I ride a 2000 YZ 426, and I luv it! In the winter, I ride a 1996 Yamaha XT 600. My whole family rides dirtbikes/quads and snowmobiles, even mom.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fershy

Posted December 22, 2000 - 06:04 PM

The stock YZ bars are not worth $8 let alone $80. I think Hodaka's came with a more comfortable bend. Toss em straight away.

thats my 2 cents. Which I would gladly accept for the stockers!
fershy

• dirtdad

Posted December 22, 2000 - 06:18 PM

Hugh, both Hick (as usual) and mikeOK give good response. If you'd like further info, check out the Dec. issue of Motocross Action.
In it you'll find an article titled "how to find the perfect handlebar". If you can't get your hands on that issue, let me know and I'll try and relay most of the info. Hope this helps. I'll be upgrading my bar soon also. fershy, I agree with your comment on the Hodaka bar. Of course, back when I rode one, I didn't really have anything better to compare it to!

------------------
like a kid again, 00426

[This message has been edited by dirtdad (edited 12-22-2000).]

• PK

Posted December 23, 2000 - 08:36 AM

A bar with less sweep will help keep your weight up forward on the bike more than the more swept bars. That's why you see alot of em in supercross whereas trailriders usually use a more swept bar bend. I would give em a shot and see if you like the bend. If they are free what do you have to lose...

PK

• MXOldtimer

Posted December 23, 2000 - 08:49 AM

I like a low, flat, straight bar, so I can keep my nose over the front end (of course with my nose I could stand behind the bike and it would still hang over the front end). My favorite bar is a pro taper filled with silicon and a 98 RM bend cut to 30 1/2"

Doug

• dirtdad

Posted December 23, 2000 - 04:34 PM

picking the "right" bend depends on your riding style. If you're aggressive, a straighter bar is better for you. If you sit alot, then more sweep would be beneficial. If you ride woods, a narrower bar makes sense. In the end though, it's all what feels best for each person. That's what makes it so hard to choose one. If we could all be Mcgrath and get to try them all before settling on one would be the dream situation!!!!! Again, my two scents!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.