Put in a new K&N Air filter and a week later my engine was destroyed

30 replies to this topic
  • danny86

Posted March 15, 2010 - 03:42 PM

Its still at the shop now, the mechanic told me he doesnt know why K&N sells these types of air filters for a dirtbike. Sucked in too much dirt and now its looking at major repairs.

• heykenny

Posted March 15, 2010 - 03:49 PM

yep.. K&N filters are worthless..... they have a good marketing dept......... one good weekend in the sand and you can kiss your engine goodbye

• souphmars

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:34 PM

I heard about this happening to a friend of mine with his quad. It was on a 250r. He has never used k&n since, and has criticized them ever since. After reading this I believe him. That really sucks. How did it happen? Is it because of a poorly made filter? Not sealing good?

• mxn4life

Posted March 15, 2010 - 08:14 PM

Its still at the shop now, the mechanic told me he doesnt know why K&N sells these types of air filters for a dirtbike. Sucked in too much dirt and now its looking at major repairs.

Lesson learned, I hope. Twin air foam filter, Is the only filter you should ever use. I take it you dont know how to rebuild a motor. Thats gona cost ya. Its hard to trust a machanic, make sure he saves all off the replaced parts to show you what he replaced.

• Bkew

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:01 AM

Sooooooooo if the K&N filters are bad, are the NoToil ones bad too? Just wondering. I run the NoToil as it came with my Loudmouth intake, I actually have 2 filters and keep one clean all the time to swap them. I have not seen or heard any issues but just wondering what peoples thoughts are........

• souphmars

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:52 PM

I use the Twin Air with my Loudmouth Intake. I have not seen any problems yet. I check the air box everytime to see if any dust or dirt is getting past the filter. So far so good. I did wonder after reading this post. At least with the Loudmouth, you know you get a good seal, and I think the rest of the filter is just like a normal air filter.

• butchmv93

Posted March 18, 2010 - 11:14 AM

I had a bad experience with K&N oil filters 2 years ago and it was a 6 month process, but they cut me an $1800 check for my new gsxr1000 motor. They have a guarantee on all of their products against engine damage. Take pictures, document everything, don't through anything away. Have your mechanic speak with them. I'm not joking with you. Do not be the victim here. Don't lay down and take it. Motorcycling is an expensive hobby as is, we don't need unforeseen expenses from things that should work properly. Please call them! Warranty info :banana:

• Noppy

Posted March 18, 2010 - 11:37 AM

... when used primarily on paved roads and...

• danny86

Posted March 20, 2010 - 03:02 AM

I had a bad experience with K&N oil filters 2 years ago and it was a 6 month process, but they cut me an $1800 check for my new gsxr1000 motor. They have a guarantee on all of their products against engine damage. Take pictures, document everything, don't through anything away. Have your mechanic speak with them. I'm not joking with you. Do not be the victim here. Don't lay down and take it. Motorcycling is an expensive hobby as is, we don't need unforeseen expenses from things that should work properly. Please call them! Warranty info :thumbsup:

Did you hire a lawyer? Or contact K&N directly ?

I just want a working bike, Im not looking to make any money off of this but rather have my bike in the exact same condition as it was before I put in the filter..

• butchmv93

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:43 AM

I contacted them directly. I did not contact a lawyer. They had their "Guarantee" posted on their page and I held them to it. At several times they will try to sway your mind making you think you installed it incorrectly or it was "user error". So if you know you didn't mess it up, stay strong and follow the process. Trust me. I thought i was going to get screwed so bad, but in the end everything worked out to my favor. My motor was destroyed by there oil filter...dumped all of my oil in 30 seconds, cooked the 4 rod bearings and crank bearings. It was going to cost alot of money and since it wasn't fault, I didn't think it was right that I would get shafted. Please call them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • butchmv93

Posted March 22, 2010 - 10:45 AM

please post everything they tell you on here so I can walk you through it. If they say " we have never had anyone come to us with any problems yet!" just say then i'm your first. Anytime they try to make you feel like it was something you did wrong, counter them and reassure them you installed it spec to their directions. Let me know.

• danny86

Posted March 24, 2010 - 06:05 AM

Thanks bud, I sent them this e-mail on Monday and havent heard anything from them yet. I'll call them this Monday and speak with them on the phone

Hello,

Approx a month ago I purchased a brand new K&N Air filter for my RMZ450. I followed the instructions to the T and a week later my dirtbike would not start. Brought it to the mechanic and he said it was due to the air filter. There was BARELY and oil in the machine. Before the first ride I did and oil change yet once I put on that filter ALL the oil blew out.

I spoke with other people, mechanics, lawyers about this issue and according to your website and product description you have a warranty to protect against this sort of thing.

I documented everything including the oil purchased, oil filter, K&N air filter and mechanics fee's and write up of the problem as evidence. I do not want to bring my lawyer into this as I'd like to try and solve this out of court.

I'm not looking to make money off this, all I want is my dirtbike working in the condition it was before I put in that air filter.

Thank you.

• souphmars

Posted March 24, 2010 - 03:41 PM

I hope they take care of you. I will never buy a k&n filter for anything.

• mxn4life

Posted March 24, 2010 - 03:48 PM

I hope they take care of you. I will never buy a k&n filter for anything.

DR Thumper:
Been using K&N's since the dawn of time on all my engines (currently 2 2-stroke bikes, 4 4-strokes, 2 4-wheelers, RV, Tacoma, Dakota, Subaru and a Rubicon). No rebuilds needed here. Not a spec of dirt inside the filtered area either. Easy clean-up and also added torque.

If you have used a K&N and had problems I bet you weren't sealing the filter right. Myself, I don't even use the seal grease, the filters fit nice and tight with the stock bolt.

You may have also lacked on the oil. I find it most useful to give it a quick spray on the inside also, so the deep pleats (viewed from the outside) get oil.

K&N air filters have been used on the Baja 500, 1000, etc, for many many years. They were designed for abusive off-road racing.

I don't mind Twin-Airs, but over the years you will be going thru them. Seams start to come apart, foam actually wears thin too. The K&N's just keep working and working.

My oldest one is on a '93 Bandit, I think that filter is over 15 years old. After a quick clean-up, it looks brand new, like the day I bought it. And, that '93 Bandit, with 49K miles on it without burning one drop of oil between 1500 mile oil changes is the proof K&N filter work great....and don't cause excessive engine wear or pass dirt.

This guy uses only K&N's and says there is nothing wrong with K&N only the people that use them.

• danny86

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:11 PM

No, I did everything to the book. Oil was just changed literally right before I put on the filter.

I used the specific K&N Air filter spray.

I also asked friends/mechanics outside of this forum and they agree.

• mxn4life

Posted March 24, 2010 - 04:29 PM

No, I did everything to the book. Oil was just changed literally right before I put on the filter.

I used the specific K&N Air filter spray.

I also asked friends/mechanics outside of this forum and they agree.

Yeh most definitely, I'm on your side all the way. I will be very suprized to see K&N pay for your motor though. let us know

• butchmv93

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:21 AM

So there was no oil in your engine? And nothing leaked out of the drain bolt?

• whyfly

Posted March 25, 2010 - 07:25 AM

I'm trying to see how the air filter caused your engine oil to disappear. Dirt in the motor I get, but why would the air filter cause your engine oil to disappear?

• gregghealy

Posted March 25, 2010 - 09:16 AM

My 05 has 300 hours of K&N filter use. They used my bike to make it. I had one time where I didnt get it seated right and did suck some dirt.

The worste thing my motor has seen is when I was using foam filters and had one tear open on a 12 hour very dusty desert ride. The inside of the air boot looked like cave walls... I did have an intake valve tighten up at 350 hours, but its hrd to blame that on the K&N given the all the dirt it sucked before I even started using it.

• Noppy

Posted March 25, 2010 - 10:42 AM

What kind of particle size did they specify in their add?

We have been driving an enduro last fall and the dust particles where so small that three engines blew up, one of them being a brand new WR450F and a EXC 300. My TwinAir foam on my DRZ400 did very well, no visible leakage at all!

However, stil some debris/dust in the float bowl, which couldn't have come through the fuel, because I use a fuel filter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.